Avoiding command delay

Hi all,

I am having a problem with right clicking waypoints to extend their position (click & drag), when the way point I wish to adjust is in close proximity to unit. All I keep getting is the orders menu, with the option to add another way point.

The situation would normally come about when a lighter tank comes into contact with a superior unit. The Tac AI replots move (normally reverse) to what it thinks is a safer position. On some occasions the turn finishes with the move incomplete, and a small amount of move to be completed next turn (5 meters or so). Often I wish to extend (not change) this to a better position, and due to the possible danger do not want to add additional way points, and then additional command delay associated with these.

Because the waypoint is so close to the tank all I get is the orders menu. Obviously this is not so critical on most other moves. However every second counts when up against better tanks. :(

Any thoughts?

Red

You're getting the orders menu because you're clicking on the unit rather than the waypoint. When the waypoint is close to the unit, it can be tough to click on the waypoint. Since you're dealing with vehicles, though, there's an easy solution. Hit Shift-V (or whatever the appropriate hotkey is for PCs) to hide the vehicle and clicking on the waypoint will be much easier.

If you want to do the same thing for infantry, it can help to go to level 1 view and zoom as close as you can to the unit and the waypoint.

Thanks guys, smile.gif

Yes the Ctrl v solves the problem completely. I didn’t think the movement paths would remain without the relevant vehicle present.

Michael has a fair point that there appears to be a ratio between movement left and how far you can further adjust without adding a further waypoint.

Red ;)

I think (but have not tested) that the amount that you can shift a waypoint is something like a fixed percentage of the length of the distance to the nearest existing waypoint or to the owning unit, whichever is least. There also seems to be an absolute maximum distance you can shift it.

Michael

[ November 14, 2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

You can also move to a lower point of view. Clicking the waypoint is much easier at view 1 or 2 where the two appear farther apart. I think the engine also gives priority to the waypoint for the click at this level where it gives it to the unit at higher levels.

Resizing vehicles (Ctrl-C) is also a big help.