Workaround for Hung eLicense Window

Some people are reporting that when they start the game and try and enter their license code, that it seems that the program hangs (locks up) on them. While we are working with eLicense to troubleshoot this issue, we have a workaround that will hopefully work for you.

UPDATE: I have made up a new standalone patch file that will fix this issue without having to perform the steps below (although they still work). See my reply below for a link to the patch and infon on how to use it)

Launch the game, the Theatre of War license screen should appear (the one with the M3 Lee firing). Click the License button.

You should now see a Theatre of War - Install License Screen.

Make sure that your license key is in the License Key feild (36 digits including dashes).

Click the Get Off-line License button.

On the next screen, use your mouse and highlight everything in the white panel. From the very top where it says, "INSTRUCTIONS FOR GETTING AN OFF-LINE LICENSE" all the way down to the bottom where it says "-----END LICENSE REQUEST-----"

Now with all of that text highlighted (make sure you get that all of that top line, its easy to mis the first few letters!, right click with your mouse and select "Copy".

Now, with that window still open, you will need to launch your internet browser. Doesnt matter which one (IE, Firefox, Opera, they all work fine.) Once your browser is open, please go to www.license.net

Put you mouse in the big empty white box on that webpage and now right click and select "Paste"

Once that whole feild is filled with the text, click the Generate Off-line License button.

The page will refresh and you will see a message in green text which says: "YOUR OFF-LINE LICENSE HAS BEEN GENERATED BELOW:"

Again use your mouse and highlight all of the text in the text window begining with "-----BEGIN LICENSE REQUEST----- and ending with "-----END LICENSE REQUEST-----"

, scrolling all the way down so you get it all.

Right click and select "Copy"

Now, return back to the Theatre of War Request Off-Line License program window. Click the "Next" button. You should again see a big empty white feild in the middle of the screen. Put you mouse into the white area, right click and select "Paste". The text field should fill up with the text from your browser.

Click the Complete Installation button. You should receive a message that your license is accepted.

Madmatt

[ May 18, 2007, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Madmatt and Moon, Thankyou for the suggestions. Your advice re:Elisence has worked out great and am now able to enter play mode. Also as a side note I have both dual cores on and maxed out to highest settings. No slowdowns. Graphic detail is very striking in high detail. Cheers again.

The elisence worked for me on both my computers, (I wanted to try multiplayer). But I can't find the unlicensing folder anywhere in the control panel on either computer. I have XP and no matter if I display classic, other, ect. There is no elic. folder anywhere.

ARFF1, this is a known problem for some users. In order to uninstall, you have to do the manual procedure outlined in the FAQ. Here is a short summary:

- create a shortcut to tow.exe

- right-click the shortcut and select properties

- in the target line, you should see the path, such as:

C:\programs\battlefront\theatre of war\tow.exe

(this can change depending on where you installed it of course)

- change this like so:

"C:\programs\battlefront\theatre of war\tow.exe" -unlicense

(notice the " and that they include the path only and not the -unlicense command)

- save changes and launch the shortcut (e.g. doubleclick). This will bring up the unlicense screen

• 4 weeks later...

I have made up a special patch for this problem. You no longer need to do the offline process as detailed above. Please read below if you have this issue to find the patch.

eLicense Freeze Fix Patch....

This patch should address the issue of the eLicense Program freezing when you enter your license code, or when trying to unlicense the game.

On the next screen, please make sure that the Destination Location for the patch is where you currently have the game installed (Default location is C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Theatre of War).

Once the patch is installed, you will be prompoted to license the game and it should work without freezing.

Once you have licensed the game, you should launch the game normally (via the desktop shortcut or the Theatre of War Program Group).

To unlicense your game, click on the Unlicense Theatre of War icon from the Theatre of War Program Group.

<a href="ftp://ftp.battlefront.com/pub/patches/tow/ToW_elicense_patch.exe" target="_blank">Download the Theatre of War eLicense Freeze Fix Patch Here (1.23Mb)

</a>

• 2 weeks later...

I get the freese elicence thing

I also get an error while installing the elicence patch ( the error ocurs with the 2 "msv7v.dll (or something similar) files.

Since i´m doing the off line registration this hopfully wont be a problem..

hopefuly! since I got my licence file by copy& past just the text betwen "--- BEGIN...(..) END----" as it said in the previous instructions, after the elicence freeze, so i´m gettin a strange feling on my spine..

when i get home i will see, and if another strange error ocures i have to get back to the office and check the foruns to try again for some other strange perequisite..

This elicence thing is realy getting on my nerves arrrgh...

Probably should have brought the all computer from home!

If this is e**** is rely necessary is it possible to make the licence user dependent and not computer dependent?