partial fix/tweak on slow performance.

OK, I've found a partial fix that actually enables me to play - though oddly, I tried the same with the demo and it didn't work. By reducing resolution from 1280x1024 to 1024x768, and switching off EAX (even though my soundcard supports it) I can play, and get the game in all its smooth scrolling beauty! And it sure looks stunning.

BUT, having said that, graphics are a bit dated looking and chunky and ragged AND my E6600 Core 2 Duo chip still runs at a constant 100% usage, which isn't good.

Hope this helps you sort the problem, Moon. It does seem to be linked to graphics optimisation at higher resolutions - although that doesn't explain (at least to me) why a powerful new processor should be forced into near overdrive.

Good to see those tanks and troopers actually rolling instead of leaping and jerking once every two seconds!!

It's not your hardware that's lacking or the game needing excessive resources. With an E6600, 2gigs RAM and 7300GS I can get smooth gameplay at 1600x1200 with max everything. That leads me to believe it's some sort of driver or setting issue that's causing the problem.

Also, try to run as few things in the background, I found ToW to be unusually sensitive to such things.

Keep reporting any problem you may find, it'll help track these problems down.

How can I tell which background processes I need, and how do I shut them down?

Actually, I don't think that's the problem as my cpu usage when idle is 0% and when doing stuff like now, opening web pages, typing etc it stays at zero.

I also have all latest drivers.

[ April 20, 2007, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: handihoc ]