Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Upgrade problem & CMBO

Hello all.

I've recently upgraded from W98SE to Windows XP. I have gone through everything and the very last thing that I need to get up and running is CMBO. (I'd be happier if it was the other way around.)

I have:

Windows XP (Home Edition)

AMD 700mhz Duron

A7V Motherboard

256MB PC133 SDRAM

GeForce2 Ti video card with 64MB

28.32 NVIDIA Detonator Drivers installed

48X Toshiba CD-ROM

7+GB of HD space left

a 350W power supply

Soundbalster 128 PCI

NEC Multisync XE15 monitor (XP tells me that the Monitor Type is a Default Monitor with 60hz refresh rate.)

I've read the accompanying page to this discussion board and have downloaded and installed the latest NVIDIA driver.

I've even searched through the different threads about XP to see if anyone had the same problem.

Here is the situation. When I double click my CM icon on my desk top (like I always did with W98SE), I get two of everything. Two quick Time movies then two tank girl menu screens -all on my single monitor screen. I didn't go any further than that and exited. I did try hitting the ESC button to minimize CM and went back several times, but that didn't work.

Any ideas guys? Thanks.

[ April 05, 2002, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Le Tondu ]

I assume that the screen holds both of these CMBO's running side-by-side and everything looks horizontally compressed; is this correct ? You should have two mouse cursors moving in tandem with this screen. It sounds like (and I don't know how) that CM is using a resolution that your monitor is incapable of actually supporting. I don't think a overly high refresh rate would cause this particular problem, but instead it is something that I've seen with resolutions a bit higher than what the monitor can truly support.

I'd suggest deleting your CM Prefs file and going through the resolution selection process again. Make sure your desktop is set to a resolution at or above what you intend to run CM at.

I think XP should have a specific monitor definition for your NEC XE15 (but I'm not sure on that). XP/2000 just loves to default to Plug-and-Play or Default Monitor and skip trying to accurately identify the particular monitor model. You should be able to increase the refresh rate in the monitor tab of the Display control panel.

Schrullenhaft,

Yes, exactly. There was two of everything. Two mouse pointers that moved in sync, etc...

I removed the perfs file and then I put the resolution to 800X600 and the result was even worse. It was absolutely unreadable.

I put it back to 1024x768 and then I persisted until I found and installed my NEC XE15 monitor and......

........it worked! WOOOO HOOOO!!! No more Default Monitor for me. smile.gif

Thanks for your help.

smile.gif