retail TOW

Snoozer

Is this game any different than the one you can download now? I bought it when it first came out, but that was on an old comp. can inf get inside buildings now?

May 2, 2008 - Theatre of War, the WWII battlefield simulation/RTS title for PC, has gone gold today. Created by Battlefront.com, a leading developer of strategy games, Theatre of War offers an extensive real-time WWII experience.

I just bought the game online and its version 1.2.0.46. Now i have to hunt around for the patches and hope they work. Why, when they sell the game Direct to download do they not have it updated to the latest version? This is why steam is so popular.

Snoozer, the problem is the sheer size of the game. It's close to 2 GB as is, and with the patch it would be over 2 GB. The 2 GB however is a "magic" limit, because browsers and servers cannot physically handle files bigger than 2 GB for download without some special adjustments.

The solution to this would be to allow people "split downloads" (i.e. break the game into several downloadable parts). And we will do that at a point in the future after completing our server move. But for the time being, downloading the base game and then the patch is not all that different than downloading the game in parts smile.gif

As for finding the right patch... as of a few weeks ago all new games come with a special Version checker link. If you click that link you're brought to a page which basically tells you what patch you need or if you're up to date.

I am not sure if the current TOW version up in our download portal has already been updated with this version checker link or not, unfortunately.

The best way to hunt for patches "manually" is on this page by the way:

Battlefront patches page

It's not listing any other versions than the original Battlefront version for TOW at the moment, because all other retail versions (Kalypso in Europe, CDV in US, and other distributors in Japan etc.) are all up to date.

Martin

PS. The CDV "US retail" version will be available on Steam as far as I can tell.