Controlling Infantry

SlapHappy

Interesting comments. I would like to add my 2 centabos.

Speaking as somebody who plays alot of squadie games such as jagged alliance, Xcom etc I felt at home with the management system of the infantry, BUT to micro manage a whole platoon or company this way is like herding cats.

Some things need to happen automatically to help the play managing: Squad weapons ie LMG, bazooka, Boyz ATrifle, all have an assistant carrying ammo, this guy should automatically transfer ammo, stayclose to the weapon, and automatically take the weapon up if the primary is killed. Soldiers should scrounge weapons automatically as well. I hate the system for exchanging ammo and weapons, its great to be able to do this, but its implemented like a role playing game. Time consuming.

Lastly be careful what you wish for. Remember Squad Assault? It prided itself on a squad morale factor, then everyone complained they could not control their soldiers when they were pinned down or wounded. Also soldiers were never going to where the player wanted them to as they looked for the best cover instead. Atleast we have control here. Maybe a little too much control. And do NOT abstractly represent infantry that is wrong. That is biggest thing I hate about the CM series or Panzer command.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Webwing:

I agree and understand what you are saying but again is kind of a delicate balance. If the AI gets too clever then all you have to do is select all troops and tell them to advance and they will know when to stop, take cover, etc. Not much left for the player to do then.

Actually, I think that is close to what alot of us want. I almost never order individual soldiers, and would much prefer an interface that emphasized orders to organized squads or fireteams (much like Close Combat or CM). I want to play as Private Pyle's company commander, not his frontal brain lobe.

anyone familiar with the commands in PAnzer commander.. u getthings like bound, where some of the group stands overwatch , and well a set of order forthe group.. interestingway to look at things although I think you are going to be stuck giving group orders through sellecting a group..

I find myself always racing around a busy map, because the ai isso inept.. ok, u r under fire lets take cover DOH

Originally posted by gundolf:

Interesting comments. I would like to add my 2 centabos.

Speaking as somebody who plays alot of squadie games such as jagged alliance, Xcom etc I felt at home with the management system of the infantry, BUT to micro manage a whole platoon or company this way is like herding cats.

Exactly. It's just not feasible.

Some things need to happen automatically to help the play managing: Squad weapons ie LMG, bazooka, Boyz ATrifle, all have an assistant carrying ammo, this guy should automatically transfer ammo, stayclose to the weapon, and automatically take the weapon up if the primary is killed. Soldiers should scrounge weapons automatically as well. I hate the system for exchanging ammo and weapons, its great to be able to do this, but its implemented like a role playing game. Time consuming.

Or like an RTS? AS in WWII RTS, one of it's original titles? Some of this stuff can be simulated using the game interface. Like the ammo bearer can be made to follow the MGer by clicking "defend" and then clicking on the MG unit. But, I agree, the ammo transfer process is tedious, at best.

Lastly be careful what you wish for. Remember Squad Assault? It prided itself on a squad morale factor, then everyone complained they could not control their soldiers when they were pinned down or wounded. Also soldiers were never going to where the player wanted them to as they looked for the best cover instead. Atleast we have control here. Maybe a little too much control. And do NOT abstractly represent infantry that is wrong. That is biggest thing I hate about the CM series or Panzer command.

Yeah, obviously something that actually works would be good, too......

[ January 28, 2008, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: SlapHappy ]