Which would be the best order to play Campaigns?

nachinus

I haven't still played all the Campaigns in ToW, since I have been focusing in playing single missions and fanmade missions to master the game before starting with campaigns, which, for what I've read, are considerably harder. I must admit that they scare me a bit. :D

My first idea was to play the campaigns chronologycally, but that would mean to start with the Polish one, which may well be the hardest of all (fighting the Wehrmacht with polish weapons doesn't sound too easy). So I was thinking that many people have already finished all the game, and maybe you could share your experience and suggest the best order to play the campaings, from easier/simplest to harder/more complex.

Details about level of complexity are also important to me, I prefer small (simple) engagements to big combined arms battles (complex), I'd prefer to start with the former until I'm really familiar with the game and ready to engage in big fights.

Sooo, I eagerly wait to learn from your experience smile.gif

Well, I have only finished one campaign - the Polish - and I think you can always give it a try, it's just three missions anyway. It's quite hard, though the problem is not weapons as you suspected. You have access to very good Polish 7TP light tanks, which can effectively fight every enemy vehicle. It's not the quality then, but quantity which really is the problem. You are fighting against numerically superior enemy and it happens that you have to neutralize something like 20 enemy Pz IIs, Pz 35s and - the most dangerous - Pz 38s, with just four of five own tanks. It is pretty difficult to achieve and takes some save-and-loads. I would advise to take good care of your tank crews, since the third mission would be probably impossible to accomplish without experienced gunners.

Yes the Polish campaign is hard.

I made the campaigns by cronological order.

Polish, French, Russian, German and Allies.

But i think the french campaign is easier than the Polish. The third polish mission is hard, you need to get the enemy Pz 38 from the sides at close range.

The problem with ToW campaigns is always quantity, so you will need lots of save and load.

In the Russian campaign i think i had to take out every Elefant heavy tank deployed to the eastern front.

I think the 'easier' (none are 'easy') ones to get to grips with are the Allied and German campaigns. Both have a fair amount of variety and seem to have fewer annoyances than the others (I wouldn't be surprised if they saw more extensive testing than the others). The Allied one has the downside that you seem to swap between being American and British constantly so it's possibly best to go for the German campaign first. I think the Polish one is the hardest, and the French one the easiest.

Have fun

Finn

Thanks, guys. Campaigns still scare me, but I think it's time to give them a try.

One more question: is it reasonable to accept a defeat and pass to the next mission when you've lost it (given that you have that option activated)? Or is it so hard to win the next mission with all your forces depleted by the defeat in the previous one that it's just suicidal?

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

In the Russian campaign i think i had to take out every Elefant heavy tank deployed to the eastern front.

Lol, that was funny :D

Originally posted by nachinus:

Thanks, guys. Campaigns still scare me, but I think it's time to give them a try.

One more question: is it reasonable to accept a defeat and pass to the next mission when you've lost it (given that you have that option activated)? Or is it so hard to win the next mission with all your forces depleted by the defeat in the previous one that it's just suicidal?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

Lol, that was funny :D </font>

Originally posted by MikoyanPT:

About accepting defeat and continuing, you kind of need top notch tank crews to survive every mission.

So if you lose that tank crew, just load a save game, save a lot.

Yes it may be gamey, but surviving a assauld by a dozen of heavies with 4 medium tanks has to be gamey.

Yes, Mikoyan is right. Keeping your crews is crucial. It takes much save-and-loading anyway to win the third Polish mission, but without experienced gunners, winning it would be virtually impossible.

Anyway, the "save-and-load tactics" as the only way to complete a mission is really getting on my nerves, as it is not what I would expect of a realistic war game. I have a feeling that, although the engine designers did their job well, the mission designers forgot, that this is not going to be another Blitzkrieg or BiA. Perhaps they wanted the game to be longer in terms of time necessary to complete all the campaigns?

Game Tip. Always ambush enemy tanks in chokepoints, behind a ridge and preferably with side shots.

Let them get close and kill them one by one with concerted fire by several units.

The irony is that game designers boast about "substantial increase of engagement ranges". That's surely a good thing, though of no use in campaings, as you are always outnumbered and usually outgunned, so you need to make an ambush and attack at point-blank range anyway. I think, that such a mission design kind of kills one of the main game's advantages.

Adam