Startup crashes, OS 9 and OS X

DavidJJ

Just my $0.02. CM demo worked fine on both my G4 and iMac running 9.0.4 prior to the arrival of the OS X beta. Since partitioning my drive, re-installing everything and putting OS X on the second partition then downloading a new demo of CM, boom, no luck.

The CM demo tries to start up, pops to black for a resolution change, then falls right back to OS 9. I am not trying to start this in X Classic, just plain old 9. At least no hangs or nasty bombs.

Gotta be an extension that X put into the 9 system disk/folder. I can volunteer to investigate if need be.

David

Here's what was loaded in the system 9.0.4 folder by OS X public beta. Anyone have any ideas which of these folks is at fault? My guess would be the "Classic RAVE" extension.

Classic Compatibility Environment 1.0f3

Apple Menu Options 72,901 bytes 1.1.8b2 APPC CDJR

AppleShare 646,479 bytes 3.8.7b2c1 RDEV afpt

Classic RAVE 52,581 bytes 1.2 shlb bbox

Classic Support UI 722,504 bytes 1.2 bbox csui

File Sharing Extension 201,902 bytes 7.6.7b2 INIT hhgg

Open Transport 993,109 bytes 2.7.1 otsl otan

OpenGLLibrary 193,253 bytes 1.2b2c4 shlb opgl

ProxyApp 2,724 bytes 1.0 APPL bbox

Software Update Engine 152,217 bytes 1.1.3 APPL soup

Software Update Scheduler 51,313 bytes 1.1.3 appe swup

I would disable the following extensions (if you haven't tried it yourself already):

Classic Compatiblity Environment

OpenGL Library

Classic RAVE

and two others to consider:

Proxy App

Classic Support UI

You'll need to find another QuickDraw RAVE extension though to replace the "Classic RAVE" (assuming that it is the only RAVE-related extension in your System Folder). I'm not sure if you'll need TomeViewer to extract it from your OS 9.0.x CD.

As you've guessed, it is most likely the "Classic RAVE" extension that is causing the problem with CM. Apple has probably put in a bunch more "hooks" or other changes into this extension which may be interfering with CM.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 09-25-2000).]