How do you make your tankers keep quiet?

jhmorneau

Hi there,

I wish someone could explain why tanks keep on charging the enemy. I tried every possible order, including defend + click on a given point of the map, but it is useless.

After a few moment, the tanks will move and charge again and again.

I'm sorry to say that this ruins everything!

The other day I was playing the Allies, Caen scenario IIRC. Lots of deadly AT guns on the hills, so I ordered my tanks to stay safe out of los behind a hill, while the grunts would spot the big guns and call for artillery, but no, they won't stay still for more than 30 seconds ! As soon as enemy armor is spotted, there it goes again !

You're cautiously giving orders to your soldiers, and wam !, the cavalry rushes past them (or through them), and it's a clikfest to stop them and order them to reverse.

Tiring !

Am I the only one around getting mad about that?

PS : this is sad, because the game has got a tremendous potential...

JH

The problem seems to be that when you place a hold position order it only lasts until you place any other order.

So if you think they're holding then move them a few feet to a better position, the hold order disapears (even though it graphically looks like it's still on). Once that happens they're free to charge ahead.

That's my take on it anyway.

The only way around it seems to be a rediculous amount of micromanagement. Every time you give a new order to a unit you have to wait until that unit is finished doing its thing, then give it a new hold position order.

It's my single greatest pet peeve about this otherwise great game.

I agree, this can be confusing & at times very frustrating. It can appear that units (especially if grouped) are in hold position mode when some of them are not.

It would be better if the hold position command stayed in force until explicitly coutermanded by either issuing a move/retreat order or "unhold" by clicking hold off. Attack target & area fire should not give free reign to the unit to go off galavanting to its death, the hold position should countermand this.

Maybe an issue that can be addressed in a future patch.

hold works fine.. what "other orders" are you giving? If I try to attack, and accidentally miss clicking correctly I see the blck move line instead of the red attack line, then my troops move.. that may be the problem, but honestly my trops and tanks are good at staying put, a MUST at winning and remaining sane

For ther most part, hold does what it should. Every now and then, I have a unit wander, but not quite so frequently. I just wish that hold did just that. Hold now is stop everything you're doing and do absolutely nothing. Sometimes I want a unit to stay put and ignore tanks, but fire on infantry. Other than me staying right there with it, there is no way to do it.

Originally posted by thewood:

Hold now is stop everything you're doing and do absolutely nothing. Sometimes I want a unit to stay put and ignore tanks, but fire on infantry. Other than me staying right there with it, there is no way to do it.

This is a problem I've also noticed, if a tank is set to hold position it seems to be very reluctant to fire on enemy infantry (and sometimes enemy tanks as well). The problem with giving manual targeting orders, apart from the increased micromanagement, is that you can end up targeting enemies which are in line of sight but not line of fire, which results in the unit ignoring targets that it actually can fire at!