edit soldiers' names

Snow Leopard

Salute

The standard generated names of the U.S. soldiers should be changed as well.

All the names are currently Anglo Saxon. When in fact the U.S. had immigrants from all over the world serving in its army.

Should be plenty of Graboski's for every Smith.

It would be helpful as well if you want to re-create other nations units serving on the East Front, as I'm doing with the Spanish 250ยบ Freiwillige Division, fighting in the Army Group North of the Wehrmacht, besieging Leningrad.

I tried to change them manually through the editor but when the mission launches all names are reseted to german names...

Is there any way to make them stay using a text file or any other way?

Names are in the SFS files. As far as I can tell the game randomly picks one from the country list that's referenced in one of the units ini files when the unit is created during the mission. Interestingly you can also do this with faces, but there's only one big list implemented for those. If you were to add Spanish names to the German list, it'd affect all German units, so basically you'd have to create a new country and units to go with it. I've been working on a database (and some photoshop texture templates) that makes doing this fairly easy and I now have a working version, but I need to check it against the patch. I hope to have some screenshots of the new uniforms later this week, then I'm off to France for 2 weeks. When I get back I'll rework the database a bit and the exporter, then release them together with the source code and the photoshop templates.

Have fun

Finn

Originally posted by FinnN:

Names are in the SFS files. As far as I can tell the game randomly picks one from the country list that's referenced in one of the units ini files when the unit is created during the mission. Interestingly you can also do this with faces, but there's only one big list implemented for those. If you were to add Spanish names to the German list, it'd affect all German units, so basically you'd have to create a new country and units to go with it. I've been working on a database (and some photoshop texture templates) that makes doing this fairly easy and I now have a working version, but I need to check it against the patch. I hope to have some screenshots of the new uniforms later this week, then I'm off to France for 2 weeks. When I get back I'll rework the database a bit and the exporter, then release them together with the source code and the photoshop templates.

Have fun

Finn

Right, understood, if you want I can give you a hand with the templates or something else if you want, I would like to add the spanish arm patch to the german uniform as well smile.gif

Have a nice journey to France smile.gif