Idea for Tank/Infantry balance in Patch

ColonelBlimp

Just had two immense ideas for the patch concerning the invincibility of tanks:

1.) Tank's spotting ability would be poor and erratic unless there are infantry within a radius of x metres, say 30. This would eliminate the animations needed for the soldier to climb onto the tank and shout "Germans between those two trees! No, not those trees you fool!" etc. etc. It would also encourage the player to actively use combined arms.

2.) If infantry are told to assault a tank they become immune to the "compression blast wave" and attack the tank in any way they can, if they don't have a Panzerfaust etc. only a grenade and/or their personal weapon. This could take the form of opening the hatches and 'nading them, or shooting them, or anything they can do really. This wouldn't always be successful, for example if the hatches were locked etc.

Originally posted by ColonelBlimp:

Just had two immense ideas for the patch concerning the invincibility of tanks:

1.) Tank's spotting ability would be poor and erratic unless there are infantry within a radius of x metres, say 30. This would eliminate the animations needed for the soldier to climb onto the tank and shout "Germans between those two trees! No, not those trees you fool!" etc. etc. It would also encourage the player to actively use combined arms.

2.) If infantry are told to assault a tank they become immune to the "compression blast wave" and attack the tank in any way they can, if they don't have a Panzerfaust etc. only a grenade and/or their personal weapon. This could take the form of opening the hatches and 'nading them, or shooting them, or anything they can do really. This wouldn't always be successful, for example if the hatches were locked etc.

Almost every war game does have the discussion about tank vs infantry balance.

I don’t think there is need fore any balance. Almost every thing depends how good you are on tactics.

The best thing to take out a tank with infantry is to ambush it. Don’t hunt or attack a tank with infantry, if you don’t need it. Deploy and use AT-guns wisely.

I don’t want to be rude, but should you on your free will climb up on a tank? That is not what I should, especial if the tank are shooting with both MG and main gun.

How can an infantry man be immune to splinters from HE-rounds?

A tank is defending it self if there are infantry around it. Also other tanks can shoot MG-rounds to take out infantry which is climbing on it.

cheers/

bus

You have it wrong - tanks should hardly be able to spot infantry at all at short ranges. Another problem is that they have 360 vision at the moment. Fix those two and infantry would be much more dangerous to tanks even without adding superhuman powers to them.

Have fun

Finn

id say drop the tanks spotting ability rather much, but as said giv it a considerable bonus again when infantry is around, so you dont have the typical "why i cant shoot on this or that" and its rather realistic for inf to report targets to their support id say, in that way more abstracted.

oh, and dont take their 360° view away, some have coupula, but id give them a primary(front 30-40°) and seconadry(rest) spotting area so to say.

how ever in fact sometimes i miss the additional defending means of some tanks!? i mean some tanks have the rear Mg but wheres the Nahverteidigungswaffe or better said the crew blasting away on single infantry man with smal arms from vision or shooting ports, chucking out the little 20mm he(somethinglike that) through the opening for the smoke pot launcher... :D

I don't know if this affects your interpretation of what I said, but I meant that if there are friendly infantry near to the tank it would get a spotting bonus akin to that that would otherwise be got from the tankists and the infantry cooperating, such as in the German army, through the telephones on the back of the tanks. Without this, the tanks' spotting ability would be dramatically reduced, especially against infantry.

I'm not suggesting that infantry are given anti-tank death rays and x-ray vision, but what I was suggesting was that their ability against tanks should be increased in certain circumstances. For example, before in TOW, I've had about 3 infantry squads sitting next to something like a Ferdinand etc. and nothing happens, except they throw their grenades then run away, with no offensive action from the SPG. This contrasts with instances like at Kursk, where isolated SPGs and tanks were very vulnerable to close assault by infantry even with things like nades, which simply isn't in the game. I agree that if there are friendly tanks and/or infantry near to the tank, the offensive infantry won't have a hope in hell. But, if the tank is alone, unguarded, it may well come to a sticky end. This would be even more useful as an ability if urban warfare is ever implemented.

It's good to hear that the system is going to get a thorough overhaul. Will there be any iterim tweaks made to LOS/LOF for infantry in the patch, as currently it's a very weak area in the game even after you get used to how it works?

Have fun

Finn

Originally posted by pad152:

I just hope when all is said and done, infantry will be able to hide and hard to spot when prone.

Well, from what I seen in the new video that shows some of the changes, a small group of men sneek in the grass and take out that tank...

MIke