Close Assault

SlapHappy

Yes...it is in the game...sorta.

Made a test mission with two enemy squads, German and Russian and gave them all rifles but no ammo. Ordered "Attack"! My Russians ran over to German squad who remained on their bellies. Suddenly, I noticed a German soldier had a little convulsion and then died. Looked pretty funny, my guys just standing there nonchalantly and the enemy appears to have a stroke or heart attack.

I was kind of hoping they would go at each other with rifle butts or entrenching tools, but no dice. I think Battlefront mentioned Close Assault was simulated...sans animations. It would be really cool if these guys could be shown whacking each other with empty weapons. More especially if a struck soldier could get knocked on his butt, then get up and rengage his attacker. Obviously would require some much more advanced animation sets, but still would be very cool. Definitely not the most important thing from a must-need standpoint, but still, you've got to admit, potentially awesome.

BTW, no karate kicks thrown, either, heh heh.

Perhaps the add-on?

I actually captured some 'hand to hand' (but like SlapHappy says, not the most exciting thing), its right at the end, about 8 minutes mark, a Polish soldier sees off two Germans (with a little help) in a trench.

Agreed about maybe animating them bashing each other being better than what looks like a gentle prod with the rifle smile.gif

Yeah and that "prodding" with a rifle you speak of I would argue is really just an illusion caused by the soldier standing up. Once the soldier runs out of ammo, the weapon completely disappears from his hands and you cannot reselect it. But they are still capable of killing the enemy by virtue of proximity alone.