Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Impossible to stalk tanks

SlapHappy

Sure. But it's not as funny if you have to explain it out. 'nades or nades is a contraction for "grenades". I accidentally typed nads which is slang for "gonads". Something entirely differently don't you think?

Probably a lot more effective to throw your grenades at a tank rather than your gonads.

Probably a lot less painful too.

As PFMM said, it's always a problem with strategy games and CM had it. Even if it didn't apply to units (inf sees AT inf, but tank doesn't get informed) it still applies to you as you're the eye in the sky seeing all and can issue orders right away. I believe when they talked about CM2 (new engine, not SF) it would partly be taken care of by making the unit you ordered to still undergo spotting checks before direct fire.

Eg. Tank doesn't see inf in trench and bushes 300m away, close by inf does spot them.. but as in rl can't instantly tell tank. But you do order tank to fire on them as you can see everything. Tank rotates but only 'area fires' until it successfully spots the target and then does direct fire.

This issue does bring up a drawback of the real time game system.

What's the difference between

- a tank spotting the inf, turning around and killing the inf

- another unit spotting the inf which means you also do, then you pausing the game (or just quickly clicking) and telling the tank to kill the inf.

At least in CM there could be 60 seconds of an ambush on your troops before you could do anything, now it's always instant. As soon as an AT inf or anything is spotted, you can call everything around onto them, in CM you had to sweat that time. Ambushes, rushes or flanking are going to be harder in general.

BTW jh_morneau, 'nads' is short for 'gonads' (you can google that tongue.gif ).

'nade' is short for grenade.

I never heard nade being used vocally, I think it got used in text chat due to the speed of typing ;)

T.

- another unit spotting the inf which means you also do, then you pausing the game (or just quickly clicking) and telling the tank to kill the inf.

None in effect, but in the case of my test, there were no other units to spot for the tank, ergo, the tank crew would have to have been the spotting party. It's that new one-way transparent tank hull that I blame. Damn this technology.

Well I can see a partial solution to this. Each unit only reports what it can see, it's up to the player to form the big picture. The problem with this is it leaves the computer even more moronic than usual, but I'm sure most of you want to play online by now.

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

None in effect, but in the case of my test, there were no other units to spot for the tank, ergo, the tank crew would have to have been the spotting party. It's that new one-way transparent tank hull that I blame. Damn this technology.

Yep, but as soon as you get other spotters on the map, the two cases I mentioned kick in and you're back with the same problem anyway. Remember if you can instantly pause and tell the tank to turn around an kill sneaky inf, the AI should also be able to do it. With LOS being so easy and concealment undercoded, I don't see much luck for now. Would be impossible to tell if it's the tank uber spotting or some other unit... which is maybe why it wasn't picked up on and we have uber tanks.

FYI in case you hadn't spotted it, I read in another thread that a moving tank doesn't get a spotting penalty either unlike CM (not sure if that's confirmed or not). I guess they had head straps to tie their heads to those viewing slots as they bounced around tongue.gif

T.

Well, it could be as you described, but the point I was trying to make is that since there were no other units to spot, the reason for the unreasonable spotting capabilities must be because the game treats the crew as if they were just out there on the ground instead of in a tank with the back of the hull blocking their vision.

Although I agree it's kind of unfair that you have "omnivision" of everything on the battlefield and the computer does not (at least in theory). Of course, the computer can be scripted to do all sorts of amazing things, like move a tank group towards something it can't actually spot at the beginning of the battle and such.....It's not that the computer doesn't know what's going on outside it's LOS, it simply does not act on it....Unless scripted to do otherwise.

Speaking of scripting, the game lends itself well to any number of possible "joke" scenarios you could design for a buddy to play.

Like the "hydra-headed" King Tiger scenario where when you kill the tank, it spawns two more directly behind it, and such.......

As long as the panther commander lives, the tank will be able to spot 360°, using the periscope in the commanders cupola.

so if you guy comes at the tank from the rear in the open, he is very likely to be spotted. try some bushes, helps a lot

@ Silencer

While that's a perfectly acceptable answer in the case of the Panther, I have tried additional tests with the Elephant and found it will respond similarly to a sneaking soldier at the rear of the vehicle. It seems to be tied to the threat range of the specific AT weaponry possessed by the sneaking soldier.

But you are right, bushes help cover as long as you can maintain a restricted LOS up to the required attack range.

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

Well, it could be as you described, but the point I was trying to make is that since there were no other units to spot, the reason for the unreasonable spotting capabilities must be because the game treats the crew as if they were just out there on the ground instead of in a tank with the back of the hull blocking their vision....

Oh yes, sorry if I hadn't mentioned it enough in my post but I agreed with your tank spotting point entirely, it is too much. Periscopes while they work basicly are a tool of last resort, there's a very valid reason so many tank commanders rode with their heads outside the hatch (and the drivers). One of the best things you could do is to get tank to button up as it hugely cut down their spotting capabilities.

My points were more just on how effect such a change would show up in a full game due to ToW real time orders... and if even a 'fix' will be done because of that.

T.