respawn area placement

CAS

When reinforcements arrive on Map it is really unrealistic to have them appearing out of nowhere.

(both your own and the enemy). The maps are big enough so why can´t we have new troops spawning in areas hidden to the players limited field of view and rolling into view while advancing?

If they appear behind hills this should not be a problem.

I think the game has such a potent engine and I think it is a shame if the scripted mission do not use it to full effect.

I think it more or less has to tbe the way it is, aside from the difficulty of "have new troops spawning in areas hidden to the players limited field of view"

(sorry but i really dont think thats as easy as you make it seem) theres the problem as destraex pointed out that you could kill the reinforcements, and have your own killed, before you could even control them....which would suck

It all depends on the map. Some maps are well suited for that. You can have reinforcements coming from hidden areas, behind hills etc. But if you are too close to the border of the map then it is a bit tricky. I like the idea of reinforcements arriving firing and doing their own thing and then switching control over to you. This is already used in some missions.

Yea it would suck to loose reinforcements on the way to the control zone, but hey it´s just realistic. In real war there is no guarantee for unscratched reinforcements.

It would also be nice to see the reinforcements coming so you know you have to sit it out just a little bit longer before help arrives.

On the other hand I think it is a real realism killer if a set of AT guns, tanks and infantry spawns right beside your taktikal placed high value unit, and you are ****ed before you know what´s going on.

I have no problem with the reinforcements being engaged en-route to the battlefield, but there is simply no excuse for them "warping" in from the middle of nowhere. That's just bad scenario design. Luckily, I have only seen this a couple of times, and with the map editor it should be fairly fixable.

I just had 5 tanks and 2 trucks spawn 50m in front of 5 panther td's which I was just about to ambush with 5-6 zooka guys coming from the rear.

What a splatter, only two of my tanks managed to retreat alive behind the hill and apparently that pissed off the td's which promptly discovered and shelled my ambushing party.

Imagine the frustration... properly hiding all the troops behind the hill, cycling around your zookas and WHAM your reenforcements suddenly appear in line formation surrounded by jagdpanthers.

Not funneh.

I did not even attempt to save them after the 3rd load. Let em die I said.

Maps need at least a sensible position from which your troops can show up. Probably behind a hill, but it is quite unlikely to happen since maps are static and the playingfield zooms on a certain portion of each map.

Making them march from a distant location (like the AI reenforcements usually do)off the map limits the battle location on mission design and also brings in the subject of the unlikelyness that they will make it into the map given the current missions totally insane hostile firepower.

Maybe switching to unit placement mode temporarily to place your reenforcements?

It's certainly not realistic, but a tad bit better from unrequested warp-in in the worst of positions or marching from far-far away.

Also, have found it quite unnerving when hostile reenforcements march from offmap while having perfect LOF/LOS on most of your forces, with unpenetratable frontal armor and no way of you getting any sideshots.