AI doesnt seem to like close-quarter engagements

Blond_Knight

Ive noticed while doing some mission editing that the AI doesnt like to be surpised by close combat.

Maybe Im coding something wrong I dont know. It makes perfect sense for an AT gun crew to run like hell and abandon the gun when they see a tank emerge from a bush bearing down on them from like ten meters away.

But when I put the AT gun off to the side of the road behind a building, and have the tanks drive by it took several seconds for the crew to react. I thought maybe they didnt 'hear' them coming and were surpised. So I created a kill zone rectangle and scripted them to engage any enemies in it, and it still took them several seconds to react after the first tank drove through it.

Still those Fallschirmjagers are some rough boys, they may hold on to Carentan. smile.gif

I'm not sure (I havnt't touched the editor myself) but i'd give changing the stats of the guncrew and seeing the impact that makes.

I can't remember exactly which start but i THINK its leadership, or intelligence affects "reaction times".

That would be my guess anyway, if somethings only detected at very close range, the reaction time of the unit that spotted it will seem to be much greater than if it had been a longer range spot where the extra few seconds wouldnt have been important.

Did that make sense? lol hopefully you get what i mean

I think leadership definitely affects morale. I once tried to sneak a MGer with a high marksmanship level up to plink a guy standing behind a halftrack MG gun shield. He had run out of ammo and was just standing there stupidly. The halftrack was demobilized and the driver's just sitting there staring out through the vision slot. I was trying to get close enough to not waste a bunch of ammo to dispatch this guy. Problem was my guy got weak in the knees before he could get close enough. Even though there was absolutely no danger, the halftrack caused him to panic and start crawling back towards the rest of the soldiers I had brought up.

I sent him back with an officer with a high leadership and the "shakes" went away and he wasted the gunner AND the driver at very close range. The morale must function off the threat faced even if that threat is now harmless and non-resisting.