A Winning Concept....Goodbye CM3?

Pilot37

As a long term player of Combat Mission series I have to say that by the time CM3 came out I was struggling to keep interest. Incidentally I almost always built my own maps on the editor and staged huge battles by email. These were always slow bogged down battles with exhausted troops and ammo running low smile.gif

I bought TOW hoping for something new. And I have to say I am delighted. This is a game with huge potential. In it's first release form it is great fun and very immersive. I often loose a battle because I am too busy down at eye level enjoying watching some doomed gun crew braving it out against the odds, bullets pinging all around. With a good sound set up this is very Private Ryan. The individual soldier stats make this even more immersive. Tank bail outs and jumping into vehicles under fire smile.gif is all very dramatic :D Switch all the graphics up full if you can and watch the action! It can be fun to loose ;)

I am hoping that someone will develop a user friendly map and scenario editor as per Combat Mission ASAP. First thing I would do is remove some trees (I can't see for them)and create more hills and details. I dont want to have to write code. I will use multiplayer and not AI. It's always going to be more fun that way.

If buildings could be developed I would be happy to have walls only or rooftops only or something....I hated trying to manage troops around buildings in CM.

This is a fantastic effort and well worthy of distribution by Battlefront. There are enough people out there smart enough to take the concept ever further as happens with any good game. Please developers, stick at it. This is a winner.

God I hope not, CM and ToW are two different beasts with different scales. I'd want my CM3 for larger and more tactical battles. And just from personal experience, I always find the coolness of graphics/animation always wears off the quickest. Plus I like the E-mail aspect of CM, never liked RT tactical as too much mouse running around instead of enjoying the combat ;)

BTW if you like the first person viewpoint of ToW and you play first person shooter games, give Red Orchestra a peak. Best FPS WWII game out there, iron sights only, no lame crosshair bunny hopping rifle fights.

T.

R/O is the best,,Tank battles r awesome,,And TOW is the only game I have played were u have fun even if u lose,,,Its so nice to adjust tactics and then win, Would be heaven if a reply could be added..And CMSF,,Looking at the videos and it seems it will be a great addition to wargamers also...

Having played only a few battles myself , single missions seem a little sparse , but having fun so far.The mission editor should be fun making some ASL battles to this game also.Cant wait to see what some of the other people who play come up with.

"With a good sound set up this is very Private Ryan"

Didn't recall Private Ryan having buildings that couldn't be entered, didn't recall Private Ryan having troops stand up while being shot at, didn't recall Pvt. Ryan not having the ability to put a sniper in a bell tower.

Chaz,

You are misreading hisa post. He mean "crosshairs" as in a lot of FPS will automatically target enemies for you with artificial crosshairs so that all you have to is press the trigger.. IE "Auto-aiming"

Yep, Dudes got it. No painted crosshairs in the middle of the screen that shows where the bullet going to go even with the weapon at your hip while you move (usually then just an increased dispersion around those crosshairs, eg. DoD), have to use iron sight of the weapon or the scope if you've got the sniper rifle.

T.

"Yep, Dudes got it. No painted crosshairs in the middle of the screen that shows where the bullet going to go even with the weapon at your hip while you move (usually then just an increased dispersion around those crosshairs, eg. DoD), have to use iron sight of the weapon or the scope if you've got the sniper rifle."

The 10-78 clan, of which I am a member never uses cross hair sighting while playing R/O or COD2 or UO, perhaps that lead to my confusion.

Originally posted by Tontoman:

Yep, Dudes got it. No painted crosshairs in the middle of the screen that shows where the bullet going to go even with the weapon at your hip while you move (usually then just an increased dispersion around those crosshairs, eg. DoD), have to use iron sight of the weapon or the scope if you've got the sniper rifle.

T.

Err.....nothing to stop anyone from marking with a filttip pen on the screen though.

Originally posted by chanss:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Tontoman:

T.

Err.....nothing to stop anyone from marking with a filttip pen on the screen though. </font>

Yep. I bought it on "Steam"

I have a good tip....NEVER buy a new game at 11pm. It's excellent. Only one problem...respawning. It would be more scary if you had to wait longer to respawn. Folks would be a little more cautious I think. Still kept me up half the night ;)

Cheers.