Would things be better with longer demo to full relase time?

RuhrRiver

Having watched the number and content of posts before and after CMBO and CMBB, I am struck with what I see as the much greater conflict between posters concerning TOW, and the passion of many of the negative responses--keeping in mind that many posters (we don't know about non-posters, remember) are delighted with the game.

My current guess is that much of the negativity (and the neg-pos poster conflict) could have been avoided if there had been more than one week for the posting community to learn the game and do extended play after the demo but before the full game release. Many of these conflicts and questions would have come up, and could have been resolved and at least addressed more before full game release and the decision to buy/not buy.

And just to anticipate one line of response: I think the "well you should have played the demo more before you bought the game" is correct, and not useful. It is a reprimand, not a reasonable plan for making things better. There are lots of shoulds and few constructive, realistic plans, which is one reason why everything from games to international relations are less than we would hope for.

I think we could both agree that there is no game that pleases everyone. And, given the passion involved in this forum, I can understand why you would simply dismiss my views as not at all "accurate or relevant" without any specifics.

If you want me to understand what you're talking about, though, it would help if you told me what you find inaccurate or irrelevant.

You know that sounds like not a bad idea. 3 weeks to a month in between release date would give consumers a voice in making changes and tweeks before final release. Also give a general prereview of the game by actual Grogs who have an appreciation for RTT WW2 games.

Originally posted by RuhrRiver:

Having watched the number and content of posts before and after CMBO and CMBB, I am struck with what I see as the much greater conflict between posters concerning TOW, and the passion of many of the negative responses--keeping in mind that many posters (we don't know about non-posters, remember) are delighted with the game.

My current guess is that much of the negativity (and the neg-pos poster conflict) could have been avoided if there had been more than one week for the posting community to learn the game and do extended play after the demo but before the full game release. Many of these conflicts and questions would have come up, and could have been resolved and at least addressed more before full game release and the decision to buy/not buy.

And just to anticipate one line of response: I think the "well you should have played the demo more before you bought the game" is correct, and not useful. It is a reprimand, not a reasonable plan for making things better. There are lots of shoulds and few constructive, realistic plans, which is one reason why everything from games to international relations are less than we would hope for.

Now that is one of the finer posts I've read on this forum, makes complete sense.

i think they would have lost alot of money if they had released the demo earlier.

as i think the demo is particularely badly chosen.

as one of the training missions is impossible to win, and the SP mission is a defensive "sit and watch how you get bashed" mission, not giving a good image of the game at all.

it would have been alot smarter to add a attacking mission that was more relaxed and positive for the game image.

if this demo was released long before the game, then you would only hear mainly bad comments, without the better comments of those who had the real game.