Tips about Dunkirk

Valgua

Hi! I'm getting a little bit frustraded with the Dunkirk map (German campaign). Can someone give some tips to destroy the AT guns without losing all my tanks?

BTW, I really hope BFC will change the LOS values. A tank of mine was destroyed by an AT gun shooting from 1.000 m through tree rows of trees... (I checked with 1st person view, my tank was not exposed).

Filippo

Originally posted by Valgua:

Hi! I'm getting a little bit frustraded with the Dunkirk map (German campaign). Can someone give some tips to destroy the AT guns without losing all my tanks?

BTW, I really hope BFC will change the LOS values. A tank of mine was destroyed by an AT gun shooting from 1.000 m through tree rows of trees... (I checked with 1st person view, my tank was not exposed).

Filippo

Something is FUBAR in that mission. I already told many times that my 3 tanks were shooting French H35 in turret and you could count 10 hits visible and nothing. Like that H35 was JS-2 in fact.

And distance was really not very big.

Mario

yeah, actually the game gets a little more forgiving after the first couple of missions, when playing the Germans. Once you get some Tigers your going to love it, however; early on your going to have to sacrafice some infantry to get those AT guns.

What I did was move my infantry up close and then rushed them once they had a visual from a crawling/prone position. I also moved one of my light tanks into engage the AT gun from a different direction about the same time i thought my infantry would rush. It worked well and once I had control of more than two of their guns and some tanks left I took the map.

Hang in there the frustration fades and once you get to the citadel battle you should understand how to play the game as it's meant to be played. The last three campaign missions I beat on my first attempt. Most taking on average about 40 minutes worth of game clock or about an hour and some change once you factor in the pauses.

If the development team can get the AI & LOS issues worked out and add in most of the suggestions stated in this forum TOW has a classic written all over it.

When I say the AI issues it's not that the AI is bad it's just that right now it has a mind of its own on your side causing you to micro-mannage more than you should so you don't end up with a clickfest so much as you end up with a pausefest.

Great game and I hope they get the kinks worked out.

Blaze

********SPOILERS******************************************************************************************************************************************************************** *****************

use the arty thats the only option imo

(played that mission a while ago so dont remember exactly ,is that the mission where there is a brigde and behind some houses and AT and before the brigde also AT)

This is how i did the mission. first take the second bridge and draw all your forces there go up with your tanks and shoot the attacking soldiers (should be easy)

then use your arty to shell left to the town where those two at's are. go with your tanks to the right side (as far as you can go there is a road i believe) go all the way to the river up (you encounter two tanks i believe and kill them)in the mean time crawl with your inf to the weatfield which is in front of those at's behind those bushes.

Wait until the tanks are at the river and going towards the bridge.

Now you have two options

one you destroyed the at's with your arty then rush your tanks to the arty infront of your inf they will turn arround towards your tanks and then attack with inf. They will be dead soon because of your cross fire (tip try to destroy the 75mm inf gun first with your tank because they are lethal to your inf)

then cross the brigde and you have won.

two you didnt destroy the at guns. here is it where it gets challeging. i devided my tanks in two groups first went after the 75mm and the second fired on the two at's near the houses.

let my inf go after the first at gun and put there some inf in and starting shelling the rest.

You have to do this quick , when your tanks shoot the 75inf go directly to the next at which is closest u.s.w. Dont mind the other tanks shooting just the tanks which have to support your inf. they have to quickly go from one at to another.

after that turn all your fire at the remaining at's cross the brigde if they are still there then go over en won

hope this will help guys (know how frustrating it can be if you get wiped out all the time and you want to play the next mission)

One way to beat this mission, although it will take a few hours is to use the (38t)? Or the tanks with the 50mm front armor. The at guns wont penetrate the frontal armor on those tanks. You should be able to buy 5 of them in the unit setup before the mission.

Then advance with them really slowly and keep their front armor pointed at the at guns that are in sight. Quicksave often and take out 1 at a time.

I almost succeded with this method but the game keeps crashing then I cant load my saves cause that crashes too. I believe this will work if the game wouldn't crash every 5 minutes.

I was getting my keister handed to me on this mission to the point where I was ready to give up, but then I remembered what most of the tutorials kept stressing: flank them. I won it last night, losing just 2 tanks and just 15 inf in the process. Here's what I did. First, I waited near their side of the creek for the inf charge. I mowed down all their inf in the process with no losses. While this is going on, I put 1 IVC and 1 38t out east and snuck it up on the hill facing back to the west. Meanwhile, after I wiped out their inf charge, I slowly let my inf creep towards the ATG guns. I kept all but a couple of my inf behind the hill just south of the ATG's to keep their attention. At this point, I let my two tanks on the east flank slowly creep up until they had LOS on the ATG guns, which they proceeded to wipe out quickly, along with the tanks just east of the ATG's. I then had those two tanks retreat back behind the hill as the ATG's near town where firing on them. One lost a track, but was able to finish the battle as the ATG's from town couldn't take it all the way out. While the ATG's in town as well as the tanks were busy with my disabled tank, I had my other three tanks, all 38t's, move up from the river bed and begin pounding the enemy ATG's and tanks. Once they were eliminated, I had my tanks continue to area fire on the inf trenches and also had one inf squad east on the first good hill southeast of the trench furthest east. They also provided area fire on the first line of trenches. Once the inf in the trenches were down to almost nothing, I had both all three of my inf squads take over the two enemy atg's and point them at the second line of trenches while my inf squad stormed the first line of trenches with my tanks providing covering fire. At this point, reinforcements arrived. I sent 3 tanks to the east flank and kept 2 supressing the inf trenches trading shots with any remaining atg/tanks. Once my 3 tanks arrived on the east flank, I had them pull up along with the one tank I earlier retreated and they decimated the Char Bis and back line tanks from the flank. After that, it was just a matter of mopping up the remaining inf in the trenches and occupying the town. A very, very fun battle! I'm convinced that flanking maneuvers with your armor is the best way to win the maps I've played. Be careful for mine fields though as I found out in another mission. I wondered what was blowing my flanking tanks up, thinking it was an unseen enemy, but I'd inadvertently wandered into a mine field. I love this game!!!! You must be very, very patient though as standard RTS zergfests don't work.