IT'S GOING TO BE A GOOD YEAR...

ShiftZ

Hello all.

I'm new to this fourm so let me introduce myself a little.

I've been playing war games in one form or another for more then 25 years. Way back then you didn't have computers to display stick graphics let alone war games, that was in the realm of movies etc.

My friends and I used to play this awesome board game developed by the Canadian military and I'm sure almost every country does the same thing. We would take two eight foot by three foot tables, slide them together and create miniture landscapes on it out of blankets, socks, whatever.

Using little lead pieces to represent tanks, solders, apc's, aircraft we would then get into day's long battles using the real life capablitties of the various piecies to fight it out.

We took everything that we could think of into account. Ammount of smoke fired on tanks, rounds left, weather, line of sight, damage. We even used "nuke and pypass" depending on how large the theatre was. Dice were used to calculate everything, hit precentages, hits, damage, all of it.

You could only move so far, you could only see so far, your artillary wasn't accurate the first salvo.

We would get buzzed, get into the game and dream about a day you could play a game like that on a computer and what if you could play it with a bud while he was on another computer. I guess that day is here.

This game is going to flippin' rock n roll. I've read on other posts around here from some gents about how the graphics aren't good enough or the camera isn't good enough or this or that. LMFAO.

You just wait.

The game plays spectacular right out of the box. Take it from me because I've played most of em out there and a lot of em online. All the Total war stuff, Battlefield stuff, fighter sims, navy sims, Nintendo, playstation, almost everything on boards or computers and none of those games lived upto that game I played way back in 1983.

Theatre of War lives upto that game. Yes there will be patches and bug fixes and mods but it will all help to entrench a game and make it a legend over time. Salute, btw when's the modification for modern warfare comin' out??? Just jokin' lol.

(That better?)

[ April 21, 2007, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: ShiftZ ]

Shiftz,

Very well said!

But you didn't get it ;) People wants real action, real bullets, real smoke and fire, real excitement.

That is coming in 2010 on Vista Next Generation. So there will be Minesweeper 2010, MS Pinball 2010, MS Chess 2010 and Sevastopol 1942.

In that last game called Sevastopol, Bill Gates will transport your mind to 1942 in time machine ;)

Just in time to attack Sapun Heights with German infantry.

:D

Mario

Hey ShiftZ...I agree totally with what you said.

Kinda funny though...I was playing board wargames back in the 60's even before I played "real war".

The Avalon Hill board game of "Squad Leader" is a perfect match for TOW and a few others. I helped play test that one back then and also wanted computers to take over things such as AI. It was just to tough to find someone else to play against.

Ahh, the good old days...Naaaah I like the games of today much better. TOW to me seems like an extension of the Close Combat series which is my favorite Computer game. I've always been a WWII freak...because I grew up with a Dad and Uncle's who were there and told great stories. I however don't tell stories about my experiences. Anyway, here's to a great future for TOW and all those who will mod it and play it.

I played advance squad leader back in the day.

awesome game, played close combat and many simulation oriented games like sturmovik, silent hunter etc

tried CM but did not like it much, everything seemed to perfect and contrived with all the pausing and perfectly coreographed movements (prepared for flame ;)