Trees and shrubs dont block LOS

maniac_mat

I'm totally baffled and rather upset with how LOS/LOF works (if they do) in this game : so unit A can see unit X (solid circle icon), but every now and then, unpredictably for the player, LOF is blocked ! How are we supposed to play with that ? I've seen ridiculous occurences of a 75mm gun unable to shoot either at a ("visible") enemy unit or even "area fire" on the ground, flat open, at 50m or so, because it was a ... wheatfield !!

Either I didn''t get something, or else the game engine is really bad about how obstacles degrade/block LOS and LOF.

This does not sound good I'll need to see for myself. But with scout abilities allowing soldiers to see through trees it crosses the line between realistic war game tactics to "gamey" tactics and to where we are forced at some point to adopt and play using the latter.

To perform real-time LOS through trees/bushes for more than a small handfull of units is very computationally expensive. For a game like CM where the obstructions to LOS were abstracted into "tiles", it still required a "turn" to process. I don't know how TOW does it, but it is clearly not a tiled based game and I suspect that LOS may be highly simplified to keep the processing cost down.

I've also noticed it matters where you're aiming for. I had a tank drive right up to its target and I couldn't understand why, so went down to ground level to check and the enemy was on the other side of a slight hill (hull down), and as I was aiming for the bottom my T34 couldn't see it. I stopped him and told him to aim for the turret and he was quite happy to engage immediatly.

I dunno about trees and bushes, I've had a mixed bag of results when hiding but I can't say I'm convinced they don't restrict LoS at all.

Originally posted by Laryngoscope:

To perform real-time LOS through trees/bushes for more than a small handfull of units is very computationally expensive. For a game like CM where the obstructions to LOS were abstracted into "tiles", it still required a "turn" to process. I don't know how TOW does it, but it is clearly not a tiled based game and I suspect that LOS may be highly simplified to keep the processing cost down.

Wrong. CM uses tiles but LOS aren't computed by tiles, it's full 3-D LOS. And the turn process makes many things more than computing LOS !

Matrix Panzer Command also has full 3-D LOS/LOF. And I suspect every 3D RTS also...

Anyway I can't see how this has to do with CPU : drawing a vector from point to point at discrete intervals and computing if there's something blocking along is pretty straightforward...