PBEM between Netscape and Eudora

ilkkap

Originally posted by ilkkap:

My brother is using Eudora and I am using Netscape.

Both have Win98.

When I send a move by e-mail to him his Eudora attaches the .txt

file to the message body, and CM does not understand it.

Does anybody know how to configure these browsers

to understand each other?

Have you tried using MIME instead of 8-bit when you are sending your messages ?

And you could always zip the game files.

I had some problems with this a while back when I was trying to start up a game with someone using netscape for mail. I did a bunch of experiments, and IIRC the simplest solution was to remove the ".txt" from the filename before attaching it to the Eudora message. CM doesn't care if it sees a ".txt" suffix or not, and Eudora tags things different if they're text than if they're binary. Zipping should also work, but takes an extra step.

The problem is not solved yet.

First I tried to switch to MIME code as suggested, no help, CM2 does not recognize it.

Then I tried to configure Outlook express (instead of Netscape) to handle these PBEM moves. But now (maybe because of Norton) OE removes the attachment because it is "suspicious".

The way I can play is to go to removed attachment from which right mouse/properties/second page/more info (or something like that), copy it to notepad and save this to CM2 PBEM file.

Complicated.

And by the way removing .txt did not make it less suspicious.

IIRC, there's an option in Eudora that says something like "put text attachments in body of message". This is something you'd want to uncheck, because Eudora thinks the PBEM is regular text.

As mentioned, the other option is to zip the file. It's usually as simple as right-clicking on the PBEM file and selecting "add to zip". Then just send the zip file.

BeWary