Scrolling/Rotating

I never noticed this on my older Viper card, but with the new GeForce4 it is an issue:

When navigating the map with the number-pad to rotate (7 & 9) the scrolling rotation is not smooth. Fast, but not pleasant to look at. BUT, when I use the game icons at the bottom the scrolling is fast AND smooth (like under to older card). I've tried everything I can think of to address it in the GeForce configuration and even tried various keyboard settings to see if that was trumping the scrolling action. No luck.

Anyone have any suggestions?

This may have something to do with the keyboard repeat rate. If it scrolls smoothly with the mouse in the 3D screen and the control buttons on screen, then I think things are fine. The keyboard scrolling may not be as smooth since it is essentially handing out a lot of commands to move the screen over just a little, possibly resulting in a stuttering effect. Chaning the keyboard repeat rate may or may not affect this behavior.

That's interesting. I've ignored it, but I noticed that too. On my GF2 and GF3 cards it's fine, but on my GF4 view-rotation with the keyboard is very slow.

The only difference is that my GF4 machine has a USB keyboard versus a PS2 keyboard on the others. While USB has a much slower polling rate (an issue in games like Quake when using a USB mouse) the keyboard has an artificial repeat rate which is far lower, so I doubt the USB difference is the factor.

I verified this (in passing) over a couple different Detonator releases.

Originally posted by JMcGuire:

<clip>While USB has a much slower polling rate (an issue in games like Quake when using a USB mouse)<clip>

Actually, USB polls at 120Hz, much faster than the 40Hz that PS2 polls at. So if you have a good USB mouse (one that takes lots of "pictures" per second), then you should get even faster response than with a PS2 mouse. That has been the case for me with first-person shooters and my MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. (the Logitech Dual Optical Mouse is another good FPS mouse).

BeWary