Walkthroughs and soldier skills+arty support

TN

I went through the tutorial walkthroughs, and I was surprised by the heavy use of captured weapons. There was a mention that you need suitably skilled soldiers to man and operate captured enemy guns and vehicles, but I wonder what the average skill level of soldiers will be in the game.

You could end up with something grossly unrealistic, if even an entire infantry platoon contains enough skills to man an enemy tank. Average Russian (or almost any other army's) WWII groundpounder could probably figure out how to use captured light infantry weapons, even automatic ones. Heavier weaponry, such as AT guns would be much harder, and combat vehicles such as tanks really need a skilled crew of "tankists" to drive and shoot them. Russians couldn't even read the gauges and switches of German tanks, and vice versa.

And what's the deal with artillery support and CAS? No way a Russian squad leader could order an artillery strike to immediately pulverize the opposing positions. Pre-registered was the name of the game for most of WWII for all armies and all theatres. Otherwise, delays would inevitably occur before any shells would arrive.

IIRC Moon stated once about the walkthrougs that they are meant as tutorial missions. In them they want to make sure that you have the chance to try out all the possibilities of the game. Therefore capturing of equipment is probably overemphasized. Everything stands and falls with the scenario design and how well the scenario designer did his job (e.g. green crews leaving their equipment behind and running away..)

Realisitc delays of artillery and air strikes is something different. I have not read about the actual delays in the game.... But you get an icon on screen when e.g. an artillery strike is available. The delay from activation this icon to the actual strike was not mentioned yet.

Uwe

Originally posted by TN:

I went through the tutorial walkthroughs, and I was surprised by the heavy use of captured weapons. There was a mention that you need suitably skilled soldiers to man and operate captured enemy guns and vehicles, but I wonder what the average skill level of soldiers will be in the game.

You could end up with something grossly unrealistic, if even an entire infantry platoon contains enough skills to man an enemy tank. Average Russian (or almost any other army's) WWII groundpounder could probably figure out how to use captured light infantry weapons, even automatic ones. Heavier weaponry, such as AT guns would be much harder, and combat vehicles such as tanks really need a skilled crew of "tankists" to drive and shoot them. Russians couldn't even read the gauges and switches of German tanks, and vice versa.

And what's the deal with artillery support and CAS? No way a Russian squad leader could order an artillery strike to immediately pulverize the opposing positions. Pre-registered was the name of the game for most of WWII for all armies and all theatres. Otherwise, delays would inevitably occur before any shells would arrive.

I think when you get infantry from next missions most will be "green" and no way you could have 3-4 squads fully survive (no losses) 5 or so levels. And remember the tutorial german charge vs. your trench lines, the germans lost many men in that tutorial mission. The same results will occur for you except victory or defeat

Yea, I don't know what's up with that. IMHO 1C could have made the same game and still had a very well received product but skip that whole capturing equipment feature. Maybe a feature like entering buildings instead of using enemy equipment would have been a wiser choice in the early development stage. Never was a fan of any game genre that used enemy equipment no matter what positive spin you put on it. ;)

QUOTE]I think when you get infantry from next missions most will be "green" and no way you could have 3-4 squads fully survive (no losses) 5 or so levels. And remember the tutorial german charge vs. your trench lines, the germans lost many men in that tutorial mission. The same results will occur for you except victory or defeat [/QB]