Question regarding infantry.

haido

Now i've seen som videos i tried to search the forum but didn't find a topic regarding my take on infantry.

Seems like you control them all one by one? Or is it a Represent a squad like in combatmission?

Are there squads?

Will squads be able to hide in buildings?

Will there be infantry battle only sometimes?

I have only seen tankbattles so far?

I would be too bad to ruin a game with such great potential to just leave out infantry battles.

Please someone answer my questions

I would like to get detailed info about on how the infantry battles work in this game. Because their are so many games that just handles panzer battles. So i would really like to have a good infantry/panzer battles combined.

@ GS Hinkel

just for proove where do you got that information from, just only to know your sources. Just to make shure you tell us something wich we really like to believe, so please tell us where you found the information about the platoon leader selecting the hole platoon.

As far as i have seen videos and interviews the only selection was a single soldier, the platoon leader was only important for moral not for selecting the hole group, so would be nice where you picked up that.

Originally posted by Kecks?:

@ GS Hinkel

just for proove where do you got that information from, just only to know your sources. Just to make shure you tell us something wich we really like to believe, so please tell us where you found the information about the platoon leader selecting the hole platoon.

Not the "hole platoon" ;) and not even a whole platoon, but the whole squad. In fact I have not seen yet an ARR with a whole platoon of infantry per side.

Do a search, it was posted by Moon IIRC and discussed in several threads.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=63;t=000143;p=1#000004

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=63;t=000284#000006

[ October 08, 2006, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: sebastian ]

sry guys i just mistyped

also @ kecks just because i registered in august of 2006 doesnt mean i didnt play CM or CC

in fact i love playing CM2+3 and CC2-5 (well more kinda CM) and im still playing it

you guys should be mature enough to not bash and flame someone just because he sayd somethign wrong

sebastian thanks for the answers? But seriously why did they make a decision to control each soldier individually? Its not realistic and i do not think it will improve gameplay.

Could someone please motivatet this?

Originally posted by rune:

It is squad or individual. Individual if the commander is killed. it was a design decision on 1C's part, and gives you fine control on where you want the soldiers to go.

Rune

Sounds fair enough, it may not be total realism, but it's a game, the soldiers on the gamefield aren't as smart and self-thinking as their real-life human counterparts were, so you have to help them a little.

Originally posted by haido:

sebastian thanks for the answers? But seriously why did they make a decision to control each soldier individually?

My guess: Their engine is not capable, to simulate enough infantry, to justify squad level control. Look at the AARs. You have about 25 infantry men per side. That would be 2 squads. In CC you had up to 15 squads.

Originally posted by Rune:

It is squad or individual. Individual if the commander is killed. it was a design decision on 1C's part, and gives you fine control on where you want the soldiers to go.

Individual control would be a nice feature, for some rare situations, I sometimes wished to have in CC. Making it the default is a step backward, in sense of RTS-evolution. Even the casual-RTS games go towards squad level selection, by default.

Originally posted by Rune:

Sounds fair enough, it may not be total realism, but it's a game...

But what kind of game, "Close Combat 3D" or "Codename Panzers"? It would be "fair enough" for me, if we were in the year 1995, and I would not know CC or CM yet.

Trading things like enterable buildings, realistic infantry numbers and visibilty relevant smoke for nice 3D-graphics, with frustrating camera controls, is a bad deal for me.

[ October 09, 2006, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: sebastian ]

Let me try and answer here as there seems to be some confusion.

There are a variety of ways to select infantry units.

If the squad leader is still alive, you can doubleclick on him and the whole squad will be selected.

You can use the classic, drag and select method with the mouse and all units within this area will be selected.

You can choose individual units and add them to a selection list by clicking with the shift button held down.

You can also assign "unit groups" by selecting any units you wish, and then holding the Control Key along with a number key (1-0). Pressing that same number key will reselect that entire group.

Lastly, if you just want to control a single soldier, or unit, you can do that too. And why would you want to only control a single soldier do that? Well, for one, it allows you to have that soldier scrounge on the ground for ammo, weapons, grenades etc...Or maybe you want him to run out and grab and use that MG42....

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

If the squad leader is still alive, you can doubleclick on him and the whole squad will be selected.

Why only on the squad leader? Why can't I doubleclick on any squad member to select the whole squad? Why this frustrating limitation?

Originally posted by Madmatt:

I started with three US squads attacking a German occupied farm, and got reinforcements of another platoon once things started to get really heated up.

So how many men did you command at a time? What I would like to see, is what we had in CC: A company, consisting of up to 15 squads/teams with easy and fast squad selection (click on any squad member) and squad-level mouse reporting / highlighting.

A have a couple of questions

Since an individual can be selected from a squad can they

1. Swim ( can a whole squad swim ) across a creek or river .... surf what? :D

2. Climb ladders....fences etc

------------------------------------------------

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein