Impressive, most impressive

BarbarossaDSS

Hello ToW community.

I'm been playing all the combat missions games for past 6 years. I used to compete at the T-House alot and I'm looking forward to Theater of War giving me the RTS WWII experience I've been looking for, one of more on the historically correct side of games.

I was very disappointed in GI Combat, the pacing perhaps might have been about right in terms of how fast infantry move in combat but it just seemed so slow paced. The tank path finding was a killer. And infantry could die from apparently random shots.

The trouble I think going to full 3D is players need a visual explanation of events. For example, in combat mission if you had a squad in a woods “area” and one trooper suddenly died from fire you'd say that's just bad luck. But at least for me when I was play GI Combat and a guy died from fire coming through a hedgerow I was said "How can they see me?" The visual reality did not always match up with the game play reality which then hurt my confidence in the game. Was it luck? Was it a bug?

I hope TOW doesn't have a similar issue with this, but perhaps I am an oddity in that sensation.

I'm definably excited about getting to play in the Polish and France campaigns, which weren't available in the combat mission series but I was wondering what about other campaigns like Norway? Or Finland? Greece and Italy would be great to while you are at it! Ah perhaps for TOW 2 or an expansion back but certainly I look forward to playing the earlier campaigns.

****Good points. LOS has always been an issue in these 3D games. If you may remember, I had a bit to do with testing "GI Combat", as Lawrence Jameson. The bocage/hedgerow terrain was ill represented in that game. I believe that most bocage was made of mounds of earth and stacked rocks, topped with heavy foilage and trees; some ancient and twisted thick. These were used to both deliniate farmers' fields and to protect crops from violent winds during storms. As we all know, the Germans used these hedgerows as deadly mazes in their defensive battles in Normandy. IIRC, the bocage of GI Combat was tightly grouped trres and bushes, but no mounds. There were, as you know, many LOS glitches through those hedgerows, as well as strange ways the infantry(and tanks at times) took "cover" "in" them. In my ...ahem...Panzers modding, im currently wasteing my time on a huge Moratin area map with lots of bocage and sunken road action. Heres a screen from early development:

mortain1.jpg

****Back to GI Combat for a moment...I hear you on the pace issue...but for all GI Combat's screwyness, I had some of my most gratifying moments of tactical wargaming against an AI during some of the earlier builds of the game. I think (know) it was rushed into stores way before it was ready.

Nice looking screenshot.

I was driven nuts on many occasions when no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get a squad to line up along a hedgerow or fit inside a building completely. There was always one guy that sat out in the open and got popped from the first wave of gunfire.

Certainly I had so exciting moments in GI combat, in mostly defense battles. When I did when in some of the attacks I was never sure exactly why. Part of this I again sense was do to the lack of visual reality. I could not see the direct effect of my actions with clarity. In CM I typically and look at an ARR of a game and say ah yes, it was that MG company that finally broke the British attack… etc.

In GI I had a harder time doing that. It was as if I could not sense the battle rhythm taking place and that did not turn me onto the game that much. Perhaps this is more “realistic” to actual combat but hey we are playing games still. And I beat the campaign in 5 or so missions. That was a bummer as well. I tried out the demo of squad assault second wave, it seemed more refined but it didn’t stick with me.

About moding- anyone know in what format will be models from game? ;)

Becouse if it will be something openable with normal 3d studio we will have soon tons of new models, but if creators use maya... then we will have bigger problems as it's not so widely used...

It would be good to have a chance to include new nations like Finland tongue.gif

(not I'm not happy with Poland or France- that's awsome! But after... let say... five months I'd like to see something more tongue.gif )

Regards!