Offline Strategy Systems

SlapHappy

I know that Battlefront is working on a strategy layer system for Combat Mission II. Has anyone experimented with off-line systems for tactical level games to integrate a strategy layer? I think that is something that could work nicely with a game like Theater of War, which seems to be a good basis for tactical level resolution. Maybe strategic isn't a good word, but operational level. Maybe starting out with an operational group "on paper" and drawing on those resources/units to play out the tactical level in the software in a series of set-piece battles until the victory conditions are reached? If I'm not mistaken TOW uses a "purchase" point system for units, but wouldn't it be possible to work around that?

Originally posted by SlapHappy:

I know that Battlefront is working on a strategy layer system for Combat Mission II. Has anyone experimented with off-line systems for tactical level games to integrate a strategy layer?

Many, many times. See the discussion on CMMC2 in the CM:BB forum, for example, or do a search on "Onion Wars".

CMMC also mentioned in the CM:C forum.