How autonomous are the units?

Cuirassier

Hi

I was just wondering how autonomous the units are going to be. For example, when advancing infantry, will individual squad orders be required and the use of certain techniques be necessary by the player (the short advance drill in CM), or will players just be able to tell their units where they want them to go and the units use proper tactics themselves?

Also, will various preset formations be available. For example, will tank platoons be able to form and maintain a wedge or line, etc by themselves?

Thanks in advance

Yes (the latter) and yes.

The tactical AI in this game never ceases to amaze me as player, and units are very well able to take care for themselves under most circumstances, especially the infantry. You have a selection of orders and don't really have to care about anything else once you give them in terms of micro-management if you don't want to.

You have the various standard formations at a fingertip (click or key) as well as the options to disperse or join up, or to hold relative positions.

Martin

Oh yeah, über-micromanagers will be just as happy as the more laid-back guys like me who usually play from a removed perspective. If you want to order a Panzer to shoot AP at the turret of the other tank, you can do just that. Or you can tell Sgt. York to toss a grenade at the other guy in a trench, too. Of course in most cases the AI will do this without special instructions, but it's possible to do if you feel it's necessary.

Martin

There are some things you can do probably a bit better than AI. For example your tank will try to use best possible ammunition and target the biggest visible part of enemy unit to ensure a hit. You on the other hand can force load another type of shell and spare the best ones for harder targets, aim at specific parts, etc.

Megakill,

Two questions,

Could you effectively just give an "Advance" type orders at the start and sit and watch the game run, and do nothing from then on in, and

Which seems to be the best tactic so far, if you play a scenarion more than once, hands off minimal involvement, with the AI doing most of the work, or a "Click Fest" where you take over as much as you can handle.

I am interested in whether one style or the other gives and advantage or if it will be even between opponents with different styles of play.

Peter.

Yes you can. Basicly there is a "Storm" command - advance to the target, engage any enemy on the way. However frontal assaults were never know for high effectiveness. :)

However if you managed to find a good advance tactics you may have a good chance of just looking how your AI guys kick the butt of enemy AI.

Most important thing from my perspective is finding the right approach to the mission - concentrate forces on specific flanks, or sneak behind enemy lines, or whatever your mind can come up with.