Weight

poesel

"On my way to a tank in DT" I was wondering how much vehicles weigh in game (assuming that density is tons/m^3):

Thor

5356m^3 - 107t

Apollo

5356m^3 - 53t (thats a bit strange - the Apollos all have the same size as the Thors)

Paladin

4278m^3 - 42t

Shrike

1315m^3 - 13t

I don't know how that compares to real world vehicles but to me it feels fine.

My question to Clay is if the dimensions have any effect in game except to calculate the weight?

Originally posted by poesel71:

"On my way to a tank in DT" I was wondering how much vehicles weigh in game (assuming that density is tons/m^3):

Thor

5356m^3 - 107t

Apollo

5356m^3 - 53t (thats a bit strange - the Apollos all have the same size as the Thors)

The Apollo's are almost half the width of the Thors and have a smaller turret. Those weights look quite reasonable to me although that makes the Thor heavier than most (all?) modern day tanks.

Modern day tanks are 40-80 metric tons (the Abrahms M1A2 is 63 metric tons, which sports a 120mm turret).

Originally posted by Toby Haynes:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by poesel71:

Thor

5356m^3 - 107t

Apollo

The Apollo's are almost half the width of the Thors and have a smaller turret so those volumes look odd. However, those weights look quite reasonable to me although that makes the Thor heavier than most (all?) modern day tanks.

Modern day tanks are 40-80 metric tons (the Abrahms M1A2 is 63 metric tons, which sports a 120mm turret). </font>

Some speedy research has found some monster modern day tanks. The Germans had 100 ton Panzer tanks and actually designed and built a 188 ton Maus tank, which never saw active service. There may be other examples. I suspect that more recent tanks are lighter as maneouverability now trumps super-heavy armour.