6 wheels

poesel

Is it possible to create a 6 wheeled vehicle? From the XML-file it looks possible but how will the damage model react?

Think about a non-steering twin axis. What if only one of the tires is hit?

And while at it, what do these do?

<SuspensionERP>0.15</SuspensionERP>

<SuspensionCFM>0.1</SuspensionCFM>

The damage model should handle it fine. You you will have to experiment with making only the front axle steerable or maybe also making the middle axle steerable (use the IsSteeringWheel tag on each wheel to control which ones turn when steering). This just depends on where they are located vs. the shape of the vehicle.

The ERP and CFM tags control the suspension. You can make it more or less stiff, for example. You should leave those at 0.15 and 0.1 until the 1.1.9 release. At that time, I'll show you how to use the 2 values to control the suspension. If you play with them now in 1.1.8, it won't respond the way it should.

You can create anything that is in DT and quite some more. It takes some time to understand how the bits fit together but its not rocket science.

You need something to make the 3D model, the UV map, the texture itself, icons, sounds, some XML-files and time.

The 3D model is the fun part. Texturing is basically easy but hard to make it look good. You can make icons and sounds yourself or take those from DT (its not very difficult). The XML part is hard at the beginning but its very logical and straigthforward.

UV maps (and groups): this is the part that has kept me from producing any vehicle. Blender is to my knowledge the only free programm that can make UV maps. It also can group faces (which you need for tracks) what Sketchup cannot. Blender may be a great tool but I was not made for it. OTOH is Sketchup absolutly great for creating vehicles in first place.

This step is IMHO the biggest reason why we don't have any new user created vehicles yet (though Iceman is very close).