TCP/IP Beta and LAN

Just set up my 1st LAN so I'm a real newbie here. It all seems to work fine for file sharing and other games work across it o.k. (Starcraft and TeamFortress anyway).

Trying to host on an AMD 700 Thunderbird running Win98SE. When I try to join a CM game with a P166 running WIN 95, I get an error message saying it can't connect to the IP addy I specified. I think I have the correct IP addy, since Winipcfg seems to confirm the number CM wants to use.

The '95 machine appears to want to use dial-up connecting to try to search for the IP addy (it pops up the Dial Up Connection box back in Windows).

Help?

Papa

Do you have TCP/IP setup for your network adapter on the Win95 machine ? If you have one that lists the Dial Up Adapter (or there's just one TCP/IP protocol listed in your Network control panel), you probably don't have a protocol setup for the NIC. Win95 doesn't default to installing the TCP/IP protocol for an adapter (NetBEUI or IPX/SPX are usually the defaults). Make sure your "Subnet Mask" is set to 255.255.255.0 and that the IPs are unique, but in the same range (i.e. - 192.168.80.2 and 192.168.80.3).

Local LAN games tip, both machines having 192.168.0.x addresses:

I have three Win95 computers on a LAN, sharing an internet connection using WinGate.

In order to play within the LAN, I had to disable the WinGate client on the two machines I was using (the third computer has the modem and WinGate server software).

If the software is not disabled, the CM client will correctly(!) claim that it cannot connect to the CM server...

Once I had disabled the WinGate clients, I was able to connect to the 192.168.0.x address without needing leading zeroes in the address.

Hope it helps.

------------------

Just nod if you can hear me.

Thanks to both Schrullenhaft and NigelO.

I think the problem was with the Subnet Masks. I've got it working now.

I can only host from the P166, but I think that might have to do with having BlackIce Defender installed on the AMD rig. Anyways it's not a problem thanks to Charles coding it up so that the faster machine processes the turns regardless of which one hosts (thanks, Charles).

Papa