a tank idea

jdevlin

Hi folks-

heres a tank idea I came up with. i believe in an industrial, simple approach so the hull is of a very simple design and shape - sloping is what it is.

the design's most notable feature is the oddly shaped turret, located as far forward in the hull as possible. the weapon is remote controlled, with pilot and gunner sitting in the center of the tank underneath a fairly well armored but rather broad deck/rear.

The turret has limited rotation. The idea was to create something of a mix between the low profiles of a tank destroyer and the functionality of a tank.

The turret shape is still under consideration, and will probably change in future iterations.

Armaments were intended to consist of primary ( 120mm, 76mm, Ion etc ) and an automatic point defense weapon on the rear deck on some variants to protect against infantry.

tank01ry7.th.jpg

tank02gc7.th.jpg

I like, an original idea. As you say the turret needs some work. It reminds me of the soviet WWII era tanks and assault guns, they tended to be "front heavy" so to say. I suppose the idea is to minimize target area when hull down?

A way to make the front look better and perhaps improve protection of the tracks would be to "lower" the front lower hull plate. Keep the same angle but move it forwards a little. This would increase the not so sloped "nose" of the vehicle perhaps presenting a somewhat weaker point. But I like vehicles with small weaknesses. Makes for fun trying to hit them/conceal them.

If the main chassis is given only Apollo like armor I guess one could argue for Apollo like speed as well. The turret on the other hand needs good protection from the front at least. I see some kind of wedgy design there.

Just saying that the front of the vehicle should slope forward and down, rather than forward and up. Seen from the side, the ideal armour would look like a wedge, the wide side lying on the ground. The ground, of course, doesn't fire on you (generally), so you can put the widest part of your armour toward it.

Your current design has the wide-part, seen from the side, up, and exposed track on either side below it. Imagine a shot coming in from low in front; for a fairly large area in front, it hits and bounces down into your unarmoured track. Lot of mobility kills, that way.

Bonxa has, I think, the right idea, focusing on that narrow descending lip of the front edge as the glacis rather than the underslope.

Hi-

I've oput some more time into my as of yet unnamed design. Here are some screeenshots of the design.

Notable changes include support for the turret and an elongated "nose" intended to deflect headon shots from hitting the body or the turret.

Feedback/Advice is always welcome!

Thanks,

Joe

tank01bww9.th.jpg

tank02bdh5.th.jpg

tank03bdm0.th.jpg

tank04bdg9.th.jpg