A proposal.

yurch

And not one necessarily relegated to just mods.

We should start 'unbalancing' the sides with unit selections and types, going perhaps for outright replacements. If there were to arise, say, a new MBT, we give it to Blood and take away the Thor.

I think it would be a bit more convincing and interesting to see two distinctly different sides with differing design philosophies slugging it out.

Without even getting into major armament changes, I can think of quite a few "equivalents" for the big three that aren't that far away.

1) A lighter MBT with more intelligent armor sloping. Take thor's armor values (300 front, 400 front turret, ect..) cut them near universally, and make the MBT a bit faster/lighter as compensation. Now try to design a sloped armor configuration that keeps it alive. (and no cheating, it's still gotta be a recognizable MBT) The result I think will be a unit that does well or even excels in 'default' situations but with severe weaknesses on rough terrain, against ions, ATGMs, ect.

2) A heavy IFV. The Paladin chassis sees way more combat (especially against HEAT!) than it's reasonably protected for, and I imagine it's going to get worse with infantry. A significantly slower, 6-wheel (with 4 dedicated to steering) design, maybe with some sort of HEAT screen like you see on the sides and rears of modern vehicles adapted for urban fighting (edit: "Slat" armor). Not sure how the screen could be done in-game technically, but perhaps through the use of the 'structural integrity' points that structures have along with some sort of property to let AP overpenetrate through it.

3) Non-turreted tank-destroyer design. Take something Apollo sized, get rid of the turret, up the front armor and sloping protection, and there you go. The gun itself will protrude out the front with a very limited side-to-side traversal. This vehicle will probably be less useful overall than the very favored Apollo, but I think it will still be somewhat respected. It might need a tiny turret in the commander spot for the anti-infantry machinegun.

I've been trying to do design some of these craft myself, but I'm remembering why I always stuck with scripting in other games. I should not be allowed near modelling programs.

Your ideas have merit but there is one flaw.. if you have different equipment on each side you'll get bitching. Go spend 30 mins on the il2 channel at hyperlobby to see that... "you only beat me cos the 109 is overmodelled... booo hoo" etc etc.

Having said that I like some of you vehicle ideas. Bieng a huge "Hammers Slammers" fan I want a 170 ton hover panzer with a 20cm power gun that can kill anything...

on a more sensible note i would love to see a tempest armed with the 76mm

We already have that with pieces like the hurricane, especially in beta where we got 6 of them and they were generally more common. They're still obscenely good vehicles. I don't think anyone's as concerned with power discrepancy among the generic fighters in the game - they're all on the ground so to speak, and most have serious flaws.

They also don't have real world counterparts as to give the internet nerds reason to start a T90 versus Abrams event.

Not sure where you get the idea for overpowered hovertanks out of my post. tongue.gif

Chassis x with gun y is stupid easy with the XML. My offline games are full of 76mm Apollos and Thors and tempests - I'm more interested at this point in new chassis designs. If any of these new chassis are really that overpowerful, I've failed in my suggestions. I actually think most of them will be worse off if used in the exact same roles as thier counterparts.

• 3 weeks later...

i see the point of variation and why not unbalance but only on mods--> you join a server knowing that no matter what you are going to fight hard with what you have even to achieve an onourable defeat; anyways this already happen if you join at mid time a poorly populated match