Joystick Doesn't Seem to Work Right

StellarRat

I have a CH Fighterstick USB, CH Pedals and CH Throttle. I can't seem to get it to recognize the different devices. When I try to set up the joystick, it doesn't recognize the different axis. Keeps trying to make everything Joystick0 Axis2. Help...All my controls work fine in IL2 and Falcon 4.0 Allied Force.

I'm running version 1.3.1 under XP.

[ August 15, 2007, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: StellarRat ]

JBY - you should check out some of the Freespace 2 total conversions if you feel the need to blow up other craft in space.

For example, if you like the new Battlestar Galactica series, you could do worse than http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/ . Or alternatively, you could try the Vegastrike-based Wing Command - Privateer Gemini Gold over at http://priv.solsector.net/

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

Stellar, I'm trying to round up the hardware to be able to actually play with it and see what may be wrong. I'll let you know when I've found some joysticks to try out.

Thanks for investigating this. If I had an extra set of everything I'd let you borrow them. :D I can tell you that CH can use software called the "control manager" to integrate all the hardware. I tried it with and without running this software and had no luck either way.

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

Stellar, I'm trying to round up the hardware to be able to actually play with it and see what may be wrong. I'll let you know when I've found some joysticks to try out.

I did a little experiment with my own kit.

I tried out Dropteam with my racing wheel and pedals. It does work - although aiming and firing while driving is too damn tricky. Being able to accelerate immediately is an advantage, although I need a way to tweak the axis direction - accelerate reverses and brake accelerates.

If I add a second joystick into the mix (the wheel/pedals register as one) I can't get the second joystick to be detected by DT.

Originally posted by Toby Haynes:

I tried out Dropteam with my racing wheel and pedals. It does work - although aiming and firing while driving is too damn tricky. Being able to accelerate immediately is an advantage, although I need a way to tweak the axis direction - accelerate reverses and brake accelerates.

D'oh! The advanced button allows me to reverse the axis and tweak the sensitivity.

Originally posted by Toby Haynes:

If I add a second joystick into the mix (the wheel/pedals register as one) I can't get the second joystick to be detected by DT.

Actually, it does work as long as the joystick is active before DT is started.

One thing I did notice is that a "noisy" joystick axis (ie one that is constantly changing) makes axis selection difficult. DropTeam should probably examine each joystick axis to determine the standard deviation when stationary.

• 5 months later...

I'm having the same problem with configuration of a joystick.

In my case, I'm trying to get a 360 controller to work. It has all of the drivers installed and is working properly. In this case, it's just a matter of how DropTeam is interpreting the data.

For some reason, when I set any axis on the stick to aim up/down or aim left/right, it wants to jump back to an origin. In other words, rather than letting me look at a point and staying there, it automatically jumps back to the point at which I started looking around. It makes it basically impossible to aim using a joystick axis.

I have toyed with the advanced settings to get everything else working properly - which it is. The only thing slowing me down now is this blasted "back to origin" problem. Is there a text file for the control scheme I can edit to prevent this, or anything along those lines?

Thanks!