How do I install DT on Ubuntu Linux?

Bane

Hey Guys!

Well, I FINALLY got my Ubuntu Linux back up and running!

It's been my main Distro for quite some time, until I moved and couldn't get it back online.

Now that I got her up and running, I can't remember how to do anything!! :eek:

I want to get my DropTeam CD installed so that I can play while booted to Ubuntu, but I can't remember how to do it!

Can anyone help? I'm using Dapper Drake. I put the CD in and just get a browser window with all the files.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Bane:

Thanks Poesel!

I'll have to wait to get home and try it.

Enjoy ;)

Despite trying all sorts of stuff on ubuntu edgy (64bit) I haven´t managed to install DT on Linux.

DT gives ma a permission denied error and DTdemo gives me a foldersomefink not found error.

I was really frustrated, so i installed xubuntu 32 bit on my anemic PC at work, and had DT(demo) running in 1min, doh.

Since I´ve run into this problem several times (i.e skype) (I know it is possible to get the right 32bit libs installed etc., but I´m not bright enough smile.gif ), I have decided to install 32bit xubuntu on my athlon64.

update: 32bit install of xubuntu went flawlessly.

DT demo no problem

DT full version , still no luck, but I think I know why now.

I downloaded the zip in XP and unzipped it there. I burned the unzipped folder onto a CD as backup. windows has done something that makes the shell scripts die. (bad interpreter error)

anywho, have to get a new zpped version from battlefront to see if i am right.

edit: I was right. fortunately I still had the zip file. unzipping it in Linux was the trick. CU on the battlefield!

[ April 12, 2007, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: __Yossarian0815[jby] ]

oh sheesh

installing 1.0.0 works fine

but after running the update script, both the update script and the runClient script dont work anymore...

help

jb@jb-desktop:~/DropTeam$ ./runClient.sh

./runClient.sh: 2: pushd: not found

./runClient.sh: 3: ./SpaceVikings: not found

and

jb@jb-desktop:~/DropTeam$ ./runUpdate.sh

./runUpdate.sh: 2: ./Update: Permission denied

[ April 12, 2007, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: __Yossarian0815[jby] ]

Hey yossarian, Try this for a zip file:

CODE:

cd ~/Desktop

unzip -o DropTeamSetup.zip

cd DropTeamSetup

sh runLinuxInstall

cd && mkdir .Games

mv DropTeam .Games

Or this if you have the DropTeam CD, which is what I have and it worked for me:

CODE:

cd ~/Desktop

mkdir DropTeamSetup

cd /media/cdrom

cp -r * ~/Desktop

cd ~/Desktop/DropTeamSetup

chmod +x /Desktop/DropTeamSetup

sh runLinuxInstall

cd && mkdir .Games

mv DropTeam .Games

[ April 14, 2007, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Bane ]

Originally posted by __Yossarian0815[jby]:

oh sheesh

installing 1.0.0 works fine

but after running the update script, both the update script and the runClient script dont work anymore...

help

jb@jb-desktop:~/DropTeam$ ./runClient.sh

./runClient.sh: 2: pushd: not found

./runClient.sh: 3: ./SpaceVikings: not found

and

jb@jb-desktop:~/DropTeam$ ./runUpdate.sh

./runUpdate.sh: 2: ./Update: Permission denied

<small>[ April 12, 2007, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: __Yossarian0815[jby] ]</small>

Thats a change that was made for Ubuntu Edgy - the default shell is no longer bash - it's dash.

You can change it back as superuser fairly easily (standard warnings about messing things up...). This will slow down your boot-up marginally, but will allow more things to work.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">cd /bin

sudo mv sh sh-old

sudo ln -s bash sh</pre>

Originally posted by Bane:

Ok..,I think that I spoke too soon!

Everything DID install ok, but after I ran </font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">sh runUpdate.sh</pre>

and then started DropTeam, I got this:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />DropTeam must now perform a second update from the web. This is a one-time process that will install critical updates for DropTeam. Press the 'Update' button below to perform this special one-time update, or Press 'Cancel' to quit DropTeam if you don't want to do this Update right now.

fraid not , mine got to the end of the 450something files. what was strange though,was that while it was doing that second update, the version no. showed the number of the demo.
No..,I'm not describing the regular update that is required after installing DT. That went fine. I'm saying that AFTER I ran the normal update, and then started the game, another window popped up with a one-time only Web update.

It showed that 20 files needed to be downloaded, and never completed one!

Originally posted by Toby Haynes:

hats a change that was made for Ubuntu Edgy - the default shell is no longer bash - it's dash.

You can change it back as superuser fairly easily (standard warnings about messing things up...). This will slow down your boot-up marginally, but will allow more things to work.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">cd /bin

sudo mv sh sh-old

sudo ln -s bash sh</pre>

If you want the whole story, google for "ubuntu dash bash".

Played my first online battle on Linux yesterday.

Nexus sounded like Darth Vader (slooow and deeep) on voice (most of the time,Ineed to add). I checked your old thread on this problem Nexus, but you said it wa a 64bit issue. I´m not so sure since I´m running 32bit only.

I also noticed that DT appears to slow down the mouse. When you hit escape the mouse speeds up to normal in the options menu. Is this intentional?

Originally posted by __Yossarian0815[jby]:

Do I understand correctly that changing to bash would get red of having to do what Poesel said?

Yes - it reverts your base system shell to bash, which understands things like pushd (push directory onto stack). dash is a slimmer, faster shell but is strictly a minimal shell.

Ideally, the Linux version of Dropteam should actually have #! /bin/bash in the top script but developers have got so used to /bin/sh == /bin/bash it's less painful to just link sh back to bash.

Cheers,

Toby Haynes

thats a change that was made for Ubuntu Edgy - the default shell is no longer bash - it's dash.

OR you can do:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash</pre>