Ground texture all white (Linux)

tankibanki

I finally got DT to work on my Linux system. However there is still one problem. When I launch a mission all the ground is just white and the framerate is very low. The vehicles and buildings are textured, it's just the ground and the map which do not work.

Any idea how to fix this?

That's on my notebook. It's got an ATI mobile radeon using a fairly new radeon driver.

I was thinking it might be a graphics file format problem, but libpng, libjpeg, gtk, etc are installed and other 3d applications run fine, e.g. the beryl desktop, so OpenGL should be ok.

Are you using the "radeon", "ati" or the "fglrx" driver?

You can check by looking in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Specifically, there will be a Device section which will tell you.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Section "Device"

Driver "fglrx"

EndSection </pre>

FreeGLut is a replacement for the older libglut that Mark Kilgard developed. I doubt it's used by DropTeam.

What distro are you running?

Did you get the fglrx from a repository that your distro provides or did you download the drivers directly from ATI? I recommend using drivers provided by your distro if you have a choice, partly because the ATI installer has a nasty tendenancy to replace existing libraries with it's own copies. Which is fine as long as your linux distro does then upgrade the libraries that the ATI installer just altered.

Most distros have a good HowTo for enabling the fglrx drivers. Or it's possible that your ATI radeon is not supported by the latest ATI driver and you might need the legacy one.

I have a Fedora Core 6 laptop with the fglrx packages installed from an external repository.

Follow the instructions at this site to add the Livna repository to your yum configuration.

http://rpm.livna.org/

Then install the fglrx drivers (assuming that they support your card) using Yum, Yumex or whatever you prefer and cross your fingers. You should DEFINITELY read the fglrx package information about disabling the Composite extension. My laptop hung hard without this change.

http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/Packages/xorg-x11-drv-fglrx

Thanks for your efforts.

I have installed the necessary packages from the livna repository and something has definitely changed, because some 3D applications which didn't work after running the ATI installer work again.

However when I let aticonfig write fglrx into my xorg.conf file the xserver doesnt work anymore ("cannot find screen"). From what I've read fglrx does not support my card: ATI mobile radeon 7500.

Don't you think the problem could be somewhere else, not the driver? After all the vehicle and object textures are visible.

Ah. If you have an Radeon 7500 then you limited to the Open source drivers. ATI does not support the 7500 (having previously owned a 7800 I feel your pain).

So - that brings us back to the original problem. My guess is that there is some multitexturing going on on the landscape that is not done on the vehicles. I suspect that the multitex is the issue, Try turning off detail textures.

yes, that is exactly what happens, when I delete all DDS files the buildings are vehicles get their textures back.

Thanks for all your efforts, I think we shouldn't put too many resources into this problem unless there are others who experience the same.

It's not that important to get DT to work on that system since I can play it on my windows system.