Game crash's in XP sp1 ATI Radeon X300

hardail60

I have tried every thing I can think of. I have tried every ATI driver and some Custom from Driver.com. It is unplayable. My son, for whom I purchased the game for, doesn't want anything to do with it.

It crash's intermittently. Mostly after using the Gunner View, while moving. To me anyways.

At witts end.

John :mad:

When you say "unplayable" do you mean that the frame rate is too slow or that the game is too unstable?

What sort of hardware are you running this on? CPU type and speed, amount of memory on the main system and the graphics card?

I assume you are running 1.0.1? Did you try the demo first? Was that fine?

Cheers,

Toby Haynes

What I mean is

Unplayable: game crash's to desktop. I send both error reports. I have been doing it since the first beta ver. 8.? or 9? I can't remember.

I have tried installing every version of Soft Drivers custom and OEM for my Dell m30 with the ATI Mobility Radeon X300, 2 gig CPU, 1 gig mem.

It just crash's intermittently. No discernable time. I think it is happening when I hit driver view and moving.

It is starting to really suck. My 9 year old has given up on it.

John

This is almost certainly caused by the video driver; you *need* ATI Catalyst 6.2 or higher (the current Catalyst from ati.com is 6.5). Is the ATI Catalyst control center installed (you should see an ATI icon in your systray)? What version of Catalyst does it show is currently installed? Can you please email me the Dropteam.log file from your \bin directory? That will allow me to see what the video driver is doing among other things.

Also, does this happen with default settings (before turning on shadows, HDR, or any other options on the Settings tab?) You can reset to the default settings by deleting the file called DropTeamSettings.dat in your home directory under Documents and Settings.

Finally, is this a laptop?

I can't get Catalyst to install. this is a Mobility x300 video card in a Dell m300.I think I got a SP2 error or a digital sig error. It has been a couple of months. I will try. I have the drivers saved on the hd alog with the Radeon unistall software.

I am using Hydravision 3.25.0006

My CO does not allow us to use SP2 yet.

Is the Hydravision drivers as good?

That explains a lot, hardail. We need to get Catalyst or a derivative of it installed in order for you to proceed without problems.

Hydravision is just an ATI utility that lets you do fancy multi-monitor stuff, isn't it? As far as I know it doesn't provide OpenGL driver support beyond what the base driver is already providing.

I understand the problem of getting the latest Catalyst drivers installed on a laptop. ATI and NVidia both have agreements with the laptop vendors to not allow their drivers to install on your laptop - they want you to go to your laptop vendor for drivers. But vendors like Dell never keep up with the latest video drivers so users are stuck in the middle. The first thing would be to check on the latest video drivers from Dell. I tried to look for you but the only "300m" I can find on dell.com is an Inspiron that doesn't have ATI graphics at all (it uses Intel Extreme). If you want to email me the complete model name of your laptop, or even better, the service tag number, then I will go look up the latest drivers from Dell for you. They will probably be ridiculously old but you never know.

The next thing I would try is to use something like this:

Omega Drivers if you haven't already. This guy basically wraps up the latest Catalyst from ATI, tweaks them a little, and repackages them so they can be used on laptops. Worth a try!

If that doesn't work, then we can try manually installing the Catalyst drivers on your laptop. Let's go that route only if the Omega drivers don't work, though, so post again if/when you have a chance to try those.

Crex. You the man. My son and I have enjoyed two full nights of fighting over the laptop to play.

He now hates the game for the fact he keeps getting fragged. Thanks. It was the crappy drivers. The Omega installs fine and works.

Thanks. Now to build the RHEL box for the pc.