Campaign Design

My advice is to start out small.

If you want to create a scenario from scratch (rather than tweaking an existing scenario) then I would create a minimum sized map and go from there. Play with each menu and see what it does. Eventually, with some patience, you will soon get the hang of it.

That's how I started.

It helps to write a summary of what your scenario is trying to achieve to. Where does it take place? Who are the major powers? What scale, tactical or operational? What are the goals for each side?

Getting these important things fleshed out first helps get you started when you finally open up the editor.

And as Moonslayer said, START SMALL! smile.gif

Great question!

I jumped into trying to build a very complex MOD (Operation Sea Lion - The Invasion of England 1940 - at Divisional Level).

I have kept a general log of the variuous design steps and challenges. I have been at it during work and family down time on the weekends since late last fall.

In hind-sight, a step by step disciplined approach would be the "efficient" way to go (I will eventually post my 'NEW MOD DEVELOPMENT PROCESS/CHECKLIST').

However, you will find that there will be many times that you will want to pause and "test play".

In Sea Lion, after building much of the Map, I stopped the Map work and researched and built the land and air action parts.

Thereafter, I paused the development work and had too much fun just playing with what I had. The Map was finally completed (roads and rail were finally completed - they make a difference!). Naval elements are just being finished now.

Although I have some scripting done, MPP's and scipting need more work. Everything seems to take a lot longer than you might expect.

But hey, making a game can be as much (and more) fun than just playing one.

Cheers and Good Luck!

MajorRH

I'll chime in with a couple of comments. Like Moonslayer and Timskorn said, starting small and getting some hands-on experience goes a long way.

And I'll echo what MajorRH said. I've been working on my Advanced Third Reich mod for about 20 months now, from SC2 through SC2-WaW to SC2-PDE. I've documented a lot of stuff in my design notes, but I just can't say there's a "simple" step-by-step process to follow. You just have to build piece by piece, playtest to verify things are doing what you want them to be doing, re-evaluate and redesign things as necessary, and keep going through this iterative cycle. Until you're "done" or you've gone completely insane, whichever comes first. ;)

In SC2 WAW, I have finished an island map. I cannot place units on the map? I don't see Japan on the list of countries.

I know it's simple, but I am missing something! How do I place units and objectives on the island map? I want to place Jap units on the island map and US units at sea and objectives on the island map?

Chesty, here are some quick ideas. First copy localization.txt into your _campaign directory and edit that. Change one of the major countries to Japan. That adds it to the list when you open up the editor.

For units, you have to go into the country menu and update the build limits and unit names for your units. If you want to change their unit type names, you can go into the localization file and do that there. If you want to change unit values, go into the combat values menu. Once your units are defined, you add them to the map using the edit unit layer button. To add resources, use the edit resource layer button.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Chesty Puller:

Thanks moonslayer! One last problem -- how do you create a capital on a newly created map tile?

I've used dozens of editors successfully before-- and this one is giving me fits!

I am quite surprised by this as I too have used many editors before and this one is easily the most intuitive I have ever tried.

I guess it's horses for courses, eh?