Anti-virus options

There have recently been various posts re pbem virus transmission.

I should like some expert advice re the best anti-virus software that is straightforward to install annd effective but does not cause interference with other programmes .

Clear step by step advice please for someone whose tech ability peaked with chewing gum and sticky tape.

Many thanks

In general, Norton Anti-Virus has proven to be a good antivirus program. Almost all anti-viral programs are going to slow your computer down a bit (some more than others) as the check for signs of virus activity (the "auto-protect" feature). Other virus scanners have probably gotten better reviews at one time or another, but Norton has been pretty consistent in the past.

McAfee/Network Associates has also been good, but I have run into lockup problems with the virus scanners in the past.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees that the virus scanners will catch all viruses (they usually catch most of the "at wild" that are most common). The two companies mentioned here will usually get a virus signature update out within a couple of days of a major outbreak. As for interference with programs that is going to vary quite a bit. I'm not sure of the best performing anti-viral software.

This is PC Magazine's rating of some of the anti-virus programs, however it is over a year old now:

http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,397221,00.html