Specific Units for GOAL_POSITIONS

After playing around with AI scripts and looking at AI mods (specifically Timskorn's mods for the Allied AI) I've come to the conclusion that it would be a great improvement if you could specify a preferred unit type you would like to occupy a GOAL_POSITION. This is specifically relevant to defensive plans.

This would allow you to conceive a more detailed and effective defensive plan for the AI when garrisoning Cities and/or defensive lines. An armoured unit could be used to garrison a City for example, a tactic many Human players use. It would allow the AI to populate the crucial tiles with the strongest units instead of relying on pot luck and also allow the possibility to have strategically placed Air Fleets and HQ's for support.

I don't know how much work would be involved in incorporating a change like this, but I reckon it would improve the AI's chances considerably. smile.gif

This would be helpful, unless HC is doing something 'behind the scenes' so when the AI looks for a unit to garrison in a city, for example, they choose one of their best available.

At the very least though, yeah, it'd be nice to make sure the AI had good units in high-value positions like cities. This alone could have very large effects on the difficulty of the game. Imagine trying to take Moscow or Stalingrad with a level 3 Russian tank fully entrenched in it, instead of that fresh Corp. they just bought.

Timskorn, seeking best possible:

At the very least though, yeah, it'd be nice to make sure the AI had good units in high-value positions like cities.

Yep, I had requested this long ago for '41-42 North Afrika, and would have to go along with all you guys... I do hope we can eventually get this enhancement for that garrison script. smile.gif

In reality, taking a city should be REALLY hard. I have no problem with the type of unit that makes this occur. I suppose a "city defense" unit could be created that looks right from an aesthetic standpoint, can only be used in cities or fortresses(perhaps it would have NO movement points? - can only use operational movement), and has the necessary attributes.

Just an idea.