Voodoo5 5500 - not right

I got this yesterday. Fired it up today, and had the box-behind-mouse problems and the can't-read-the-text problem when I tried to fire up the 82nd D-Day night mission.

I tried doing to the "update the drivers from the CD" thing, but that didn't seem to help.

Any other things to try? Thank ya!

Update - I put the Anti-Aliasing on Direct3D (and Glide, but that's not the issue here) up to 4x FSAA (where it should have been! <g>), and dropped the screen color depth to 16bpp and its ok now.

The mouse still leaves boxes, even when switching my mouse cursors back to standard, but that's a minor issue and only occurs in the wrapper.

If you're not going to use FSAA with the game, then use 'Single Chip' instead of 'Fastest Performance'. Fastest screws up the text (all white background) and runs the slowest of all modes. Go figure. tongue.gif

Every V5 driver I've tried does this. I use FSAA anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I get the lovely 'mouse droppings' too. smile.gif It's no big deal.

- Chris

The other thing that I've noticed is that if I Esc to minimize the game, and come back, the text is all corrupted like.

??

16bpp color turned out to have no effect -- it was just the "Fastest Performance" that caused the problems.

Try this, it can't hurt, unless switching your pointer to standard is the same as default?

Control Panel >> Mouse >> Pointer >> Default

It fixed the boxing effect on my system. Hope it works for you, too!

[This message has been edited by Apoc (edited 06-25-2000).]

UPDATE - both problems fixed. Apoc's suggestion worked, I went into Control Panel/Mouse/Pointers and chose Windows Standard. That seemed to fix the box-behind-mouse problem. Switching to Single Chip in the 3dfx Anti-Aliasing setup fixed the text corruption after escape problem. If I switched to FSAA 2X or 4X, the text would be corrupted after returning from being minimized. So it seems the choices are play with Single Chip and escape all you want, or play with FSAA on, and don't press escape.

Switching to 'Standard' mouse pointer doesn't help with me. I have a Kensington Orbit, and am not using the default PS/2 mouse driver, so that may be it.

Never noticed the Esc thing before (never tried it). I'll be sure to avoid it from now on, though.

But why exactly are you hitting escape anyway? What on Earth could be more important than Combat Mission?!!? I think SOME people need to get their priorities straight. First, Combat Mission, then everything else. wink.gif

- Chris

BTW, there are new Beta drivers at:

Win9x

Win2K

They fix some compatibility probs with some games that the previous Betas (526) had and add the LOD bias slider. Games without FSAA are a bit faster (especially at low res), but slightly slower with FSAA on. I only tried them with Win98, and went back to the CD when FSAA was a touch slower.

- Chris