I cannot install the game at all!

System:

Win 98

750 processor

384 RAM

NVIDIA video card

Soundblaster Live! card

The game won't bring up install on autorun when I insert the CDROM into the drive.

When I try to access the CD, I see a "CMBB installer" file. Any attempt to manipulate that file, even just a right click, causes the CD to spin continuously and the PC to crash utterly without error message.

I'm not even getting to first base here - this is a different problem than the one reported in the thread above about not getting past a certain corrupt file.

Please Help!

Order No. 81081

Just experienced the same thing.

I have a defective CD.

When I try to copy the file, run the file, right click the file, or otherwise try to interact with it, my CD runs, and then the light stays solid, and I have a system lock-up that I unfreeze by removing the CD.

A visual inspection shows a stretched 'smudge' under the shiny layer side. It is pulled to one side of the CD. It appears to as if the underlayer is melted in someway during the production phase.

I had no problem with CM, no problem with the CMBB demo, and this kind of failure is unique to me.

Win98SE

P-II 350

128 MB RAM

TNT2 Ultra with 64 MB RAM.

Order number:

See your email Matt.

[ September 23, 2002, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Wilhammer ]

OK, here's an update on my situation...

I tried installing from my CD-R drive instead of the regular cd. I noted immediately that the CMBB installation file used the "colored books" graphic instead of the "windows generic" graphic it came up with in my normal CDROM drive.

Install began normally and I cheered. Until it hit file 00090601.wav, when the game began to be unable to read all files. Finally the drive locks up and I get a device error message.

I'm closer, but not there yet. I'll try again. I may be one of the sods with the problem described in the other thread.

MadMatt please help!!!

Thanks.

I had the same problem, however, I was able to install the game by a work around. The CD would not autoboot, so I double clicked the installer. The DVD ROM Drive essentially just spun and spun with no result. I then tried to install it from the CDRW and had the same result. I opened the CDRW tray, closed it and the install routine began, files started to copy, but my box blue screened. The next time, I tried it from DVD drive, it spun, I opened the DVD DRive and received the message that there is no media in the drive. I closed the drive door and it completed the install routine.

I imagine there is something wrong with the CD itself, but this did work. I'ld like to get my CD replaced though once a fix is found and created.

My System:

Win XP Pro

Toshiba DVD ROM

Sony CDRW

256MB

40GB Drive- FAT32

ABIT KT7A Mobo