Ok to make maps now?

I'm curious to know if there is anything preventing us from making 2x2 block maps now? I assume the typical .cme map file will be used in CMC, and that there is no reason not to get started.

If so, we need to figure out if COG would mind having a CMC maps section at CMMODs or if The Proving Grounds map section would be the place.

If its all kosher, no reason not to have lots of areas mapped out by the time CMC is ready. :cool:

I'm wondering if it might not be fun to post our areas of interest, to avoid duplication of effort? I'm currently looking at mapping the area NE of Mtzensk/Mcensk, Tula, Orel which was contested by elements of two panzer divisions in October 1941.

Curious to know what areas others are examining. Stalingrad would be a natural but hopefully some other less well known battles will come to light.

Or perhaps campaigns focussing on specific units such as the Leibstandarte etc.

Italian/Finnish/Romanian campaigns would be especially interesting to me.

I am not an expert on this but I do wonder that for all frustrated map designers there might be an advantage in setting up a form of shorthand to identify linking map sides.

That is elevation for each side, roads listed as 200 meters along from top edge etc. If this could be agreed and refined then multiple maps by players could be generated that would fit together.

Good ideas; we might also want to provide a description/sketch of the CMC tile (with four quadrants) which will represent the CMBB map. Otherwise anyone that wanted to use the CMBB map will have to "interpret" what it should look like in CMC. Once CMC comes out, maybe each CMBB should be accompanied by a CMC tile (via screenshot?). Or maybe this is overkill?

You should find out if there are any special limitations placed on the map. A priori I see no reason why there should be: maps could in principle be completely independent of each other. But you never know. There may be some strange requirements that all maps have the same height setting, or such things. The obvious way to program things is to have each map completely stand alone, but we don't know yet if there are any features in CMC that use data from the constituent maps, and which require certain limitations (sensible alignment of terrain along the map edges to make sense of line-of-sight calculations within CMC maybe).

Originally posted by TheVulture:

You should find out if there are any special limitations placed on the map. A priori I see no reason why there should be: maps could in principle be completely independent of each other. But you never know. There may be some strange requirements that all maps have the same height setting, or such things. The obvious way to program things is to have each map completely stand alone, but we don't know yet if there are any features in CMC that use data from the constituent maps, and which require certain limitations (sensible alignment of terrain along the map edges to make sense of line-of-sight calculations within CMC maybe).

Precisely; off hand I would see no requirement for maps to be "overlapping" (in other words, have matching terrain on the map edges) but of course, like the rest of you, I have not yet seen the game itself.

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

I am not an expert on this but I do wonder that for all frustrated map designers there might be an advantage in setting up a form of shorthand to identify linking map sides.

That is elevation for each side, roads listed as 200 meters along from top edge etc. If this could be agreed and refined then multiple maps by players could be generated that would fit together.

In my experience the best way to do this is to import the map you're creating an adjoining one to first. Extend it on the correct side by adding terrain (use Shift, I believe, to extend the opposite side to the one the editor takes by default) to that side and extend all the necessary features across the map border. If the whole map doesn't fit, than cut off one side of the old map as you add to the other where the new map will go.

I frequently keep the earlier map attached to my new one until I'm all done with the new map to make sure I keep the same look and feel.

When done, trim off the old map again and voilĂ , two perfectly linked maps.