Maps/Fog of War.

Forgive me if this has been asked already, I couldn't find it.

Would it be possible for CMx2 to not show the map in full detail at the start of the game?

Right now, as soon as the terrain is created, the player knows every little bit of cover and decides on his way. Only exception are trenches and holes.

I guess in reality, the commander would have a rough outline of the map (like a real paper map for example) and then as the battle progresses, gets his recon results in and is able to make more detailed decisions in regards to terrain usage.

In CMx2 terms, it would be really sweet to have some kind of "simplified look" to all those map areas where no unit of ours has put their eyes on yet.

I think a great stride in LOS-FOW would be to allow the player to toggle off both his opponent's colored unit base, and the "target next" option.

a player could perhaps limit his views to level 1 or 2, but still have his own colored unit bases an easy view as to where his own troops are.

Something akin to "Franko's true combat rules".

Yeah...if limited terrain knowledge/FOW can not be implemented graphically, then the next best thing is to have an option for locking the player to a low view level like in Franco's rules, and give him an overhead map with little detail.

The problem I have with that method of playing in the current CMBB is that it's just too large to keep an overview - I always end up forgetting some units, and it takes ages to jump between them without going into top-down view.

...which is why it might be a good thing for us all ot revert to company-sized fights...or are you having problems at that unit scale already?

I must admit that I still have not played using Franko's Combat Rules, although I think they're a GREAT idea.

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

The problem I have with that method of playing in the current CMBB is that it's just too large to keep an overview - I always end up forgetting some units, and it takes ages to jump between them without going into top-down view.

I think my problem with the overview comes with the fact that, if you want to stay with Franco's rules, you only have a very small "map" to look at (view option 9 I think). While this avoids giving you too many details, it also means you're hardly seeing anything at all.

A real "paper-map" would likely be somewhere in between.

Another thing is that with Franco's rules, you can't just click-select the next unit if you don't see it. That's so counter-intuitive for me - and also, it means that you have to watch the replay 5 or 6 times to make sure you notice all the action and all the enemys that have been spotted.

It's a real shame that we can't have a "not reconoitered" terrain "shape" that looks, for example, like the Operation Flashpoint Map and changes into the detailed map as units with LOS approach.