Designated Marksman Weapons

TOG

Shouldn't the Designated Marksman use some kind of M16 or M14 rifle instead of M4's?

Maybe some people who are currently in the US Army could say somenthing about what weapons DM's use currently. M4 doesn't seem to be a good choice due to its range. Maybe I'm wrong. Please correct me.

What about M14 EBR, does anyone use that?

Anyway, in CMSF DM's have M4 showed as their weapon. I read somewhere in other topic that this actually is more precise weapon than M4's used by other squad members. It would be good if the weapon icon for DM would show the difference. In syrian squads we get different assault rifles mixed, and it's no problem.

Yes the DMR uses an customised M14 and on occasions Scout Snipers use them for the rapid fire when needed.

Specifications

Weight 4.5–5.0 kg kg (10–11 lb)

Length 1,118 mm (44 in)

Barrel length 559 mm (22 in)

-------------------------------------------------

Cartridge 7.62×51 NATO

Action Gas-operated, rotating bolt

Rate of fire Semi-automatic

Muzzle velocity 865 m/s (2,837 ft/s)

Effective range 600–800 m (650–875 yd)

Feed system 5-, 10- or 20-round detachable box magazine

The customised M40A3 is used by Scout Snipers as standard.

Caliber 7.62x51mm NATO (.308 Win)

Length 44.25" (1124mm)

Weight 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg)

Barrel Schneider Match Grade SS #7

Barrel Length 24 inches (610mm)

Trigger Weight 3 to 5 pounds

Magazine Capacity 5 rounds

Sight Unertl 10x with Mil-Dots and BDC

Stock McMillan Tactical A4

Max Effective Range 1000 yards (915 meters)

I had a brain fart and didn't read the main topic.

As I recall (there is a thread about DMR's somewhere on this forum), there are designated marksmen and there are designated marksmen. The issue is handled at unit level and is quite informal. The designated marksman of a squad would simply be a soldier that has shown particular shooting prowess. He is then issued with weapons accessories (optical sight suited for precision shooting and maybe a bipod) for his bog-standard M4.

If taking things a bit further, the marksman could be issued with an M14 (pulled from US stocks). The M14's range from standard issue guns fitted with a scope to elaborate custom jobs like the M14 EBR. Again, this is something handled informally at the small unit level.

Therefore, having the designated marksman equipped with an M4 would be quite realistic.

When i became the armorer for my troop. Before we deployed to Iraq. We sent 6 of our SCOUTS to Sniper school for a 2 week crash course. When they came back from the school.

I issued each individual, the M24 Sniper Weapon system.

M24_components.jpg

And each sniper team (3) was issued:

The M82 Barret Sniper Rifle weapon system.

800px-Barrett-M82-latrun-exhibition-1.jpg

The sniper teams were also issued M4's. But in-game i noticed they used M16's. And in INF squads "Sharpshooters" use the M16 with scope. I know in Iraq i had a ACOG on my M4 with M203. The M4 is a versatile weapon with many interchangable mounts. But Caliber lacks any knockdown power at all. I saw a Iraqi take 6 shots to his back and he kept on running. Really sad the US hasn't come up with a better standard issue weapon, with some kind of knockdown power. We still are going off of a OLD mind set back from the Vietnam days. Considering this is a new age and all.

SOPMOD_2-2005.jpg

[ September 20, 2007, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: lrrprecon ]