Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

EA titles coming to OS X thanks to Cider

Ref: TransGaming to develop EA titles for Mac OS X

June 11, 2007 - 16:18 EDT Electronic Arts has announced plans to bring top-tier games to MAC OS X this summer powered by TransGaming's Cider engine, including: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Madden NFL 08, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 08, Need for Speed Carbon, Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars, and Battlefield 2142. TransGaming, a Canadian-based leader in software portability, has opened up new playing fields for Mac users. "Traditionally Mac users had to wait to play the latest blockbuster games," says TransGaming CEO Vikas Gupta. "We're thrilled that TransGaming's Cider engine will dramatically decrease the time it will take to bring EA's hit portfolio of games to a thirsty Mac market."

H.W. Guderian,

While as a Mac gamer it heartens me to see more products (weird batch in your list, though) available under OS X, I'm curious as to why you posted this here, rather than in the General Discussion Forum, and a trifle dismayed to see a full blown PC ad on the Mac site you linked.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

H.W. Guderian,

While as a Mac gamer it heartens me to see more products (weird batch in your list, though) available under OS X, I'm curious as to why you posted this here, rather than in the General Discussion Forum, and a trifle dismayed to see a full blown PC ad on the Mac site you linked.

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

Thanks for your comment.

The "list" isn't "mine" . . . it's a "media" report (of sorts - it really just represents the reprinting of the media release from the companies involved) and posted as information - with the reference.

There has been much said in this forum and others about the future (or lack-there-of) for Mac OS X native gaming and indeed the viability and/or need for a Mac OS X port of CM:SF.

A forum is a place to share information and this referenced info was posted as it relates to the general market (gaming - and specifically strategy gaming, albeit not at the elite and truly authentic level of BF games) and the apparent moves and choices of a big house such as EA.

EA apparently isn't giving up on supporting native Mac OS X titles and is calling on CIDER and TransGaming to do the heavy lifting.

IMPIO it relates directly to previous opinions expressed here and also possibly decisions that may or may not be made by BF now and in the future on CM:SF and other titles.

I have no comment on whatever adverts might be on the website referenced?

BTW - It is sad to see, although not surprising, that others feel compelled to post replies that appear puerile and designed only to mock and put others down. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Thomas in Tasmania

H.W. Guderian,

Sounds like you're saying you posted this in the context of addressing the vexed issue (for the Mac community) of when/if we'll have an OS X version of the game, or will simply have to either get a new Intel Mac or "join the other side." If EA can do fast ports of current games via CIDER and TransGaming, then that is indeed topical and good news regarding CMSF's chances. We've already been told, I believe, that the PC version will be first, which isn't sitting well at all with the old hands who remember simultaneous releases of games first developed on the Mac. We know the whys and wherefores of our current plight, but that doesn't stop it from rankling.

I know the list wasn't yours, having checked the link, and I know you don't control the ads there, either. Those were general observations, not attacks on you. As for put downs, practically every post I make draws them.

Regards,

John Kettler

Now that the Mac is a intel machine (aka PC platform), I'm suprised anyone is make software for it!

I wonder is there a hugh rise in sales of Macs, or a failure of Windows Vista? Dell had to go back selling Windows XP. Vista is not very friendly when it comes to running older software.