Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

G3 PowerBook upgrades for better CM graphics?

What upgrades should I do to make my G3 PowerBook run CMBB/AK w/ better graphics and w/o jerky panning over the larger maps?

I have a G3 Lombard Powerbook, running a 333 MHz processor w/ 384 MB memory and its original video card--perhaps 8 MB video memory (I have difficulty interpreting the System Profiler on this point).

I've looked around for a video card upgrade, but can't seem to find out if this is even possible, much less advisable if the original G3 processor remains. (A processor upgrade seems to expensive to justify.)

Any advice appreciated.

- Sycander

I wasn't aware of any real hardward upgrades that are available for PowerBooks. Laptops seem to be really tight for space and design, so you usually can't do much more than change out the harddrive and add more memory. I believe you are stuck with the graphics card you've got.

To my knowledge there is no graphics upgrade you can perform to a PowerBook G3. The graphics are built into the laptop's main logic-board and can't be changed/upgraded without replacing the whole logic board. Such upgrades are rare since most manufacturers just develop a new laptop and don't bother to re-engineer newer designs to fit into older systems. This is one of the disadvantages with laptops - there isn't much of an incremental upgrade path available. You usually have to purchase a new laptop in order to get more performance (outside of memory & hard drive upgrades and the occasional CPU upgrade).

A CPU upgrade could help a little, but larger maps will probably always be choppy since this requires video processing power.

Of course if you upgrade to the current models, you won't be able to run CMxx at all. I don't think any of the current PowerBooks will boot into OS 9 anymore. Is that true? Or is there still some iBook model that will?

To play these games, you will need to look to the used computer market to find an appropriate model. A Titanium 800MHz PowerBook G4 is a great machine for this purpose.