Spotting

There seems to only be 3 levels to the new spotting system...

1. I see nothing!

2. I know somethings there but I have no idea what (question mark).

3. I know exactly whats there right down to the very last detail.

I miss the old generic "type of unit?" without all the perfect intel (casualties and such).

I dont have a problem with my Abrams being able to ID a ATGM after its fired. However, I cant figure out how all my units can ID infantry units right down to the very last detail from the other side of the map (even when the enemy is hiding inside a trench or building). The Syrians do it as well, so its not just great optics.

On the flip side I can never figure out if my units will spot an enemy I know is there or how long its going to take them. I've had BMPs (opened, read in the manual that they have really poor vision from inside) perfectly positioned on the flank of a Stryker that after driving full speed infront of them stops and sits there, not 150m away. Sometimes it takes units more then a minute to spot each other even when you would expect it to be instant.

I just havent been able to find any consistency in knowing when to expect units to spot each other. Its made it hard to plan my advances or ambushes. And yes i tried the target arc when dealing with known positions. Am I missing something? Is it so heavily abstracted that I have no way of predicting the outcome?

I think it has to do with the better optics and sights that are in use by the forces in the game, it's much easier to spot and identify your target in modern combat.

But I do agree that the level of detail could have better "Phases".

Itai

Originally posted by thewood:

Thats funny, all I get in elite are general type of infantry.

I have yet to see this ingame myself. Have you tried taking a look at the actual 3D representation of the generic infantry to see if you can visualy ID the type of unit and any other intel like casualties (which would be a bad thing in my opinion)? My fear is that there arnt any generic 3D models and thats why we have less levels for spotting currently.