Vehicle interaction with the environment

SD Smack

Well as we all know the next module is in the works in one way or the other. Water and bridges, or I guess the lack there of, have been brought up in other threads as things that should/could/would be nice have. So if BFC decides to add water and bridges in the next module, will vehicles be able to interact with these new environment tiles? It would be nice to see amphibious vehicles chugging through the water as well as vehicles being able to wade through shallow water. Also if vehicles are able to interact would they be able to interact negatively? By this I mean say an IED explodes near a HMMWV and the driver panics. The driver then slams the vehicle in reverse and back into a canal causing it to sink and also causing casualties/loss of equipment. I don’t know just an idea, not sure that the engine can handle that or not.

Steve

I definitely want to see water and bridges in the Marines module. By now, I would expect that basic water simulation algorithms for games developers are well known and understood and freely available from books and internet forums.

The game will almost certainly add the "Amtrac" amphibious armoured vehicle (AAV) to the US inventory. If they don't have any water obstacles to cross, I would view this as a cop-out by BFC and a major missed opportunity.

Charles has already shown his willingness to put modern game effects such as self-shadowing and dynamic lighting into CM:SF, so I would be amazed if he wasn't also looking at ways of simulating water. It wouldn't have to be cutting-edge, just enough to allow us to simulate the odd river crossing. It would also be of use in the WWII version of CMx2, as there are several WWII battles in which soldiers in boats and landing craft crossed water obstacles whilst under fire.

So yes, I think water, and its interaction with things like boats and amphibious vehicles is a must for the Marines module. I hope Charles is listening!