Amazing work on the pathfinding!

mazex

Finally the real 1.06 Paradox patch arrives and what a pleasant surprise!

The pathfinding code has gone from the silliest in a game since the 80-ies to what I had expected from the begining - quite OK for a 2007 game! The silly long waypoint deviations are gone (<1.06 could wander off from the plotted path completey). The fine navigation has also improved massively. I put two Abrams tanks nose to nose with a 10m gap between them and ran eights around and between them in tight turns with another Abrams for 10 minutes out o cheer joy ;)

The rest of the game just feels soo much better too, as someone put it - you no longer think about how the AI will mess your plan up but think real tactics instead. Finally I will start the stock campaign that I refused to start until the game got out of the beta phase that we have been helping out with the last 6 months.

Now I really look forward to CMx2 Normany and CMSF 1.07 - after I'm done with the campaign!

You are now forgiven for all your CMSF 1.0 sins - let's hope some sites does a re-review of the game so that it gets the score it deserves now! I agreed with most reviewers then so no shame on them...

/Mazex

You are now forgiven for all your CMSF 1.0 sins - let's hope some sites does a re-review of the game so that it gets the score it deserves now!

Lets hope they do ... I lost my "good taste" badge after I added the 4.5/10 CMSF to my game collection on GameSpot tongue.gif

But in all seriousness, the pathfinding is excellent. I was most amazed when my vehicles when given a rather obscure "move quickly to the other side of the map" command were actually able to not only reliably avoid impassible terrain, but they also managed to pick the more favorable route, including avoiding mud and picking a less dense forest patch to navigate though... kudos!

[ February 08, 2008, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: The Louch ]