Two TOW failures in a row

Hev

It seems to be more like 50/50, Critizal part is when TOW goes back down in CMSF -> it hits soil and KA-BOOM. I don't know why BFC choosed to make ALL missiles go up and then down at launch (maybe smoke blocks visibility to target? Most likely there is a reason). Higher elevation seems to give better results atleast with AT-3 and AT-4 in CMSF, there's no ground so close -> missile don't hit ground so easily when comming down -> it gets time to stbilize in it's flight path (that straight line from launcher to target). This is my brainfart however, so i'm not 100% sure :cool:

I bit tried TOW out at 500 meters in flat ground and results were not very good. Worse than Sagger on tall hill or roof of one story building. So i would say that put your missiles on high ground.

Hev,

To often people say some really weird stuff in forums: see fark.com in the politics section, for an example. You can totally hate me for being reasonable, its actually not an uncommon response, and it creates a reason to continue the conversation! I was at work when i made that post, and i was super pissed about how my day was going, so i think i vented my frustration here instead of into my bosses face. Presently i'm in Vegas, I've been bombed the last two nights straight, and it is all good.

BTW my good buddy was a (Humvee) TOW gunner in the 82nd Airborne, i'm going see him on tomorrow for dinner and i will ask him about failure rates just to see what kind of failure rate he experienced. Though he was in in peacetime, i'm sure he'll have good perspective.

I'm off to go shoot some automatic weapons at a range - they have an MP40, and M249 there - I'm very excited.

Many ATGW do go up then down at launch (Check a javelin launch out) because they use a small rocket to clear the tube then a larger one once the missile is far enough away from the gunner.

Additionally, for SACLOS missiles (like TOW and the Soviet weapons) it takes a second or two for the missile to be bought under control, so it makes sense for the missile to go up, so it doesn't hit the ground, but then it comes back down onto the line of sight of the gunner.

TOW-missile starts to guide itself with wings in direct line at the same moment it goes out of tube. It will not rise as sight's IR-tracker has to able to see it's IR-pulses or it can't give guidance to missile (there is minor deadzone before missile enters IR-tracker's viewzone, i think it was just few meters).

Same applies for atleast AT-4, which was another missile system used in our army (recently has been replaced with Spike). Altough i haven't used it, just wathches videos about it and talked to Spigot trained guys. Gunner's Manuals aren't easy to get anymore :(